Reverse Lights Fuse

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Reverse Lights Fuse

Post by thesamwise4 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Just in case you were hankering for a total newbie question to start your weekend...

I am trying to locate the in-line fuse for the reverse lights (they currently do not work). I have a 1969 Campmobile with Type 1 engine.

I spent a little time looking at the Bentley wiring diagram, which explained that it is located between the reverse light and the coil. I spent a little time looking around for it but didn't have much success.

Is this small rectangular box in the middle of the picture the fusebox for the reverse lights? If so, how do I open it? It has two small circles on the opposing sides.

If that's not it, can you point me to a picture of what I am looking for?

If the pic and the link both come through, I apologize. I haven't been able to get the pic to show up.

Thanks in advance. Have a great weekend.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:11 pm

if you're talking about the thing back in the corner, half obscured. that is probably your voltage regulator. in line fuse for reverse lites would be on the other side of your engine compartment. It would be on a wire, probably black, coming from your coil. it would be routed over toward the left hand side headed toward the front of the car and disappearing through the firewall to th reverse switch located near the front left hand side of your transmission.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for the answer. I will look again tomorrow.

Have a good weekend.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm

It sort of looks like this...

8 amp fuse IIRC.
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Ya. What Randy said.

Look for a black plastic cylindrical fuseholder on a wire coming off the ignition coil, and heading forward and left. It goes around the left side of the engine and disappears through the firewall.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Self-described newbie gets a newbie-friendly answer.

Here is where it is/should be for your VW. The red arrow is the source of reverse light circuit voltage. There is a red dotted line to demark the wire going to the inline fuse holder. The black dotted line goes to the left as Hippie mentioned through the engine compartment wall to the reverse switch on the transaxle, then directly to the reverse lamps:

We need pictures of your bus or you don't actually have one.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Ok--so it should be in the engine compartment. Got it.

It's not above the coil.

[img=http://picasaweb.google.com/dfscrivner/ ... 1236449762][/img][url]

Is this it (or, more accurately, half of it?)

[img=http://picasaweb.google.com/dfscrivner/ ... 3705689410][/img]

I suppose it's possible that the PO took it apart and never reconnected it (he wasn't really into working on the bus).

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:05 am

thesamwise4 wrote:Is this it (or, more accurately, half of it?)

I suppose it's possible that the PO took it apart and never reconnected it (he wasn't really into working on the bus).
Yup! That's the half of it.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:21 am

That is a nice Bus by the way, sorry I had to snoop at your pictures. You have the EMPI dreadnought 4 point muffler I see. I had that too.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 pm

the other half is probably missing. You can make up another one with a store bought in line fuse holder. I think the original used a white 8 amp euro fuse. you can get away with a 10 amp american style fuse if needed. it connects to the coil where the power comes in from the key. positive side where power from the ignition switch comes in. not the side that has a wire going to the distributor. if you get it wrong the engine will stall when you put it in reverse. reconnect to the spade and things will be fine. unlessssss there are other problems like bad switch or the wire that comes back into the engine compartment to the back up lights is also missing , but the wire coming back looks like it's there.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for the helpful answers. I will get back in there soon and try to get everything squared away.
Sylvester wrote: That is a nice Bus by the way, sorry I had to snoop at your pictures. You have the EMPI dreadnought 4 point muffler I see. I had that too.
Thanks for that. We are still in disbelief that we actually own one. And that's the good kind of disbelief--not like, what have we done? :colors:

Can I ask what you think (honestly) about that muffler? I notice that you used past tense. Did it go because it was time, or did it go because you had an issue with it? In your opinion, how did it compare to other mufflers with regard to noise?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 pm

thesamwise4 wrote:Thanks for the helpful answers. I will get back in there soon and try to get everything squared away.
Sylvester wrote: That is a nice Bus by the way, sorry I had to snoop at your pictures. You have the EMPI dreadnought 4 point muffler I see. I had that too.
Thanks for that. We are still in disbelief that we actually own one. And that's the good kind of disbelief--not like, what have we done? :colors:

Can I ask what you think (honestly) about that muffler? I notice that you used past tense. Did it go because it was time, or did it go because you had an issue with it? In your opinion, how did it compare to other mufflers with regard to noise?
If that . . . . thing . . . is working, use it until you hate it. That shouldn't take too long. Then get a decent stock muffler if you are into the factory engineering brilliance. Let it be known, however, that fit of parts is getting sketchier by the day.

Electrical Forum, this.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles