Why... (generator brush change out)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Why... (generator brush change out)

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:48 pm

...is something so intrinsically simple such a PITA?

Trying to replace the brushes on Bertha Bus's generator. Tight space, and I simply cannot get the screw loose holding the lead, of course on the bottom brush. The screwdriver slips out of the compromised slot, and vice grips seem to be too bulky to get in there.

I've been battling this for a couple hours now and I'm so frustrated I could kill a small animal.

Anyone have any tips, hints, suggestions?

aaarrrgggghhhh!
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Venting is good. Thanks.

Finally managed to get the vice-grips onto that abused little puppy and got it out. Whew. I feel so much better already.

The old brushes had less than half an inch of material, the new one a full inch. Overdue.

Initially I thought I had a bad voltage regulator, but putting in a different one didn't extinguish the bright red dash light that lit up a couple nights ago.

Went to get a VOM and not enough battery left after all the driving from yesterday. By the time I got the regulator swapped out, it fired up thankfully, but no change.

Hal came out and gave the top brush a little push while things were running, and viola! out goes the light.

It would probably have been many a many moon before checking the generator brushes formulated into a coherent thought in my noggin.

thanks Hal,
neal

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Access. It's always access...on cars...on HVAC equipment...commercial kitchen equipment. Never any access.

You just cant work without two hands and two eyes on the project.

Ann asked me why it took almost two days to put an oil pressure gauge on my truck last week.
...No access. Always the same.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:28 pm

So looking at the old generator brushes, I noticed that the bottom brush is bright, shiny and smooth at the contact area, while the top one was dark, pitted and lumpy, as if it hadn't touched anything in quite awhile.

Is it possible to run an engine a few years with only one generator brush actually working? What would the impacts and symptoms be? Weak system? Could it do in relays?

Just curious, as my blinkers seem a bit more robust and working a smidge faster.

neal

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 pm

It had to work some 'cause it takes two brushes to complete the circuit and get any charging at all.
But a pitted brush will have a lower voltage on the output of it. Your battery is pr'y riding a little higher voltage now.

I never replaced brushes but have a pair with me on board. Oh well, I never change plugs or points either. I suck.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 am

ruckman101 wrote:Venting is good. Thanks.

Finally managed to get the vice-grips onto that abused little puppy and got it out. Whew. I feel so much better already.
Bravo! I went through all that ordeal last summer, when the brushes I'd installed in my rebuilt generator went bad.

I've decided that if those brushes have to come out again, the retaining screws will be replaced with cap screws with Allen-wrench sockets. It seemed that half the battle was getting the screwdriver where it's supposed to be. And it's easier to tape the screw to the Allen wrench than to a conventional screwdriver, and that's one screw I really don't want to drop into the works.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:38 pm

JLT wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:Venting is good. Thanks.

Bravo! I went through all that ordeal last summer, when the brushes I'd installed in my rebuilt generator went bad.

I've decided that if those brushes have to come out again, the retaining screws will be replaced with cap screws with Allen-wrench sockets. It seemed that half the battle was getting the screwdriver where it's supposed to be. And it's easier to tape the screw to the Allen wrench than to a conventional screwdriver, and that's one screw I really don't want to drop into the works.
That allen socket screw seems like a good idea. The brush replacement job is a rite of passage for the early VWs.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles