Looking For Electrical Flasher Knowledge circa 1970

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Looking For Electrical Flasher Knowledge circa 1970

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Hiya All,

I've decided to take apart some VW OEM turn signal flasher units in an effort to understand and, perhaps, rehabilitate. These are all four-pin 215Cs (used from late 1969 through 1971).

Now, my knowledge of circuit board technology and transistors is VERY limited. Are there any of you out there in IACland who have some knowledge of primitive circuit boards and their components? I'd like to be able to figure out how to run some simple tests on these flashers.

I'm happy to post pictures if needed.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Well, I graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree in 1982, but my education was only an "enabler" for other things....

Post away with the photos and I'll see what trouble we can cause!

Of course, I'm assuming you already know that all electronic devices are bottled smoke. It's when you let the smoke out that they stop working! :geek:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Hiya Don,

You are on, my man!

I'll get to taking pictures. I have four 215Cs disassembled right now. Two are Hellas and two are by SWF. One from each maker is probably bad and the remaining two are probably good.

More info when I get the pictures up.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.