'77 Westy Rear Marker Light Problems

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aopisa
Addicted!

'77 Westy Rear Marker Light Problems

Post by aopisa » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:46 am

I never payed too much attention in shop class or college physics for that matter. Not the greatest pedigree for a VW owner.

My rear marker lights stopped working. Everything else on fuse #1 & 2 works fine. A test light probe touched to the socket base lights up so power is going to that spot. When I put a bulb in, it does not light. Can someone help me with some steps on what to check next?
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 am

Hiya aopisa,

If you have power at the socket, the fault must be in one of three areas.......

1. Bad bulb
2. Poor ground
3. Loose socket (ie, the bulb is not making good contact with all parts of the socket)

Fortunately, all three of these situations are pretty easy to fix.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks Mike-

1 & 3 seem to be OK. When I touch the test light to either terminal of the light housing the test light lights up. Is this the normal state or does that indicate a bad ground? The obvious solution would be to remove the ground wire (brown) and try a fresh wire grounded to the chassis somewhere right?
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:48 am

Bad ground - from your test there.
The tester lights at both terminals because there is 12V to ground on both sides of the light bulb.