Philbin Rebuilt Distributors

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Kubelwagen wrote: Now I'm eager, and a bit nervous, about getting it back in this evening and seeing how it all goes. :bounce:
Success! Runs much, much better. :cheers:
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Interesting.
What is rebuilt ? Is it sort of rebushing as for carbs throttle plate axle ?

What should I check on my old original distributor ?
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Re: Philbin Rebuilt Distributors

Post by rallybug » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:35 am

So are we still recommending the Philbin rebuilds?

I noticed that they use the same distributor for 76 to 83 non-Calif buses, 74 411s and 412s and 74 Type 1 engines.

If so, do I buy direct from them, or through a reseller as the web page implies distributors?
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:18 am

My understanding is Philbin will rebuild YOUR distributor, not necessarily sell you a rebuilt distributor. If you don't have the correct distributor in your bus, perhaps you should find a used one somewhere (junkyard, The Samba, etc.) and then send it to Philbin to be rebuilt. That's what I did for my Beetle and I also had them rebuild the correct distributor that came on the engine I bought to rebuild for my bus and have been VERY happy with their work.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:34 am

http://philbingroup.com/rebuilt/catalog/VW/index.html

Give 'em a call. I think that if you are willing to wait you could get yours rebuilt or send yours as a core and get one they rebuild off the shelf. They keep a stock of units awaiting rebuild. You may be able to get them to dig through and find one with the proper part number on it if it is your desire.

Make sure whatever you are requesting is written down on the order sheet. Maybe even have it read back ifn' you have particular needs (ie use my core for the rebuild...).

My distributor from them is doing great, though I recall several "Hey Moe!" moments when the two guys working in the shop weren't on the same page about details because no one wrote anything down.

I do lean toward the idea that they will send out a unit that will meet spec for your request, even if the housing has a number from another application.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....