12 Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet Not Putting Out 12v

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

12 Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet Not Putting Out 12v

Post by James Dwan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 am

I have hooked up an Auxiliary Power Outlet under the dash and wired that up to the accessory fuse on my fuse block. In the glove box I have a triple Auxiliary Power Outlet and have plugged into that my Sirius stiletto, an Ipod speaker and a dash fan.

I bought an Auxiliary Power Outlet that has light indicators on it and they are telling me that the outlet is not getting a constant 12 volts. When the light flickers the music turns off.

So my first thought is that my voltage regulator or alternator are to blame.
I am no electrician so I am not sure what the solution is. Any help very much appreciated.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 am

Do you have good voltage everywhere else? At the battery, at the fusebox?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 am

Haven't checked anything yet. I just found out last night what the deal is. I had assumed it was just cheap Autozone power outlets not fitting right. I'll check the battery tonight. Where should I check the fuse box at?
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 am

James Dwan wrote:Where should I check the fuse box at?
You can just check right at each fuse, no need to get into the guts of it unless you discover something unusual by checking from the front first.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:07 am

Will do. I didn't think of that, thanks. I was thinking I was over loading the accessory fuse. Is that possible with my set up?
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:13 am

If you overload it (too many amps) the fuse will blow... that's what they're there for.

The voltage should not be affected by your additional sockets. Check the voltage with your accessories plugged in as well as unplugged to rule out funkiness.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:00 pm

It appears to be a lot simpler than I thought. I ran a wire with an inline fuse from the battery to the cig lighter. I left the old ground in place and it seems that whenever it goes out all I need to do is twist the plug that is plugged into the cig lighter. I am guessing that I need to open the tabs up a bit to provide a better fit. I have rear shocks that are going out and every bump in the road jostles the plug around.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe