Early Bus Turn Signal/Brights Conundrum

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Early Bus Turn Signal/Brights Conundrum

Post by ruckman101 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:32 pm

A few years ago while driving along on the way to Wallowa Lake, I noticed my generator light lit up. Along with this I heard a clicking, like my turn signals were on (but they weren't, and emergency flashers weren't either). I ended up pulling the relay off, so the generator light only dimly glowed.

Recently, I replaced a fuse for the headlights if I remember, and my generator light quit glowing.

So, ambitious that I am, and at the urging of my better half, I thought I would replace the relay in hopes of getting my turn signals back.

I meticulously labeled the wires I pulled from the relay (as they were all blue). However, when I went to replace the relay, I seemed to be short a wire. I have one through four, but no fifth wire.

So it would seem someone replaced the original box that plugged straight into the fuse box, with a later one. So I'm sitting here with three different boxes, at a loss.

I am so confused.

So in a brave, or foolish, move I pulled out the meticulously labeled wires that were connected to a five prong 411 941 583C relay, and shoved a 211 953 215C relay into the fuse block. Nothing. Tried a second one. Whala! Turn signals and flashers, but still no high beams. What am I missing?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Early Bus Turn Signal/Brights Conundrum

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 02, 2010 8:15 am

ruckman101 wrote:A few years ago while driving along on the way to Wallowa Lake, I noticed my generator light lit up. Along with this I heard a clicking, like my turn signals were on (but they weren't, and emergency flashers weren't either). I ended up pulling the relay off, so the generator light only dimly glowed.

Recently, I replaced a fuse for the headlights if I remember, and my generator light quit glowing.

So, ambitious that I am, and at the urging of my better half, I thought I would replace the relay in hopes of getting my turn signals back.

I meticulously labeled the wires I pulled from the relay (as they were all blue). However, when I went to replace the relay, I seemed to be short a wire. I have one through four, but no fifth wire.

So it would seem someone replaced the original box that plugged straight into the fuse box, with a later one. So I'm sitting here with three different boxes, at a loss.

I am so confused.

So in a brave, or foolish, move I pulled out the meticulously labeled wires that were connected to a five prong 411 941 583C relay, and shoved a 211 953 215C relay into the fuse block. Nothing. Tried a second one. Whala! Turn signals and flashers, but still no high beams. What am I missing?

neal
High beams are an independent circuit from turn signals or emergency flashers. Look at local wiring in the vicinity, consider that you may have yanked a plug near the steering column support where the dimmer switch wiring greets the mess at the fuse box, and always, with VWs, recheck fuses frequently.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles