'75 Bus Instrument Panel Problems

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

'75 Bus Instrument Panel Problems

Post by dingo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 pm

While driving along this afternoon, I noticed two things:

- the battery charge light glowing red, (digital voltmeter readout showed 14.3V which is normal charge)

- fuel gauge reading less-than-empty (I just filled a half tank)

Fuses looked all intact. I need my evening coffee before any of this makes sense.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Even though the fuses look good, it sure sounds like fuse #12 to me. Does your oil pressure light come on before start? Do the turn signals still work? If not, I'd double check the fuse and/or twirl it around in the fuse box to make a better connection.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm

You might have a back flow. Power from the fuse box powers dash lights and fuel gauge as well as provides a tickle current to the alternator through the warning light. Once the alternator starts alternatin' there is no ground through the warning light because the alternator is making power. If the electrical connection from the fuse box is sketchy the dash lights and fuel gauge will actually draw power from the alternator through the warning light circuit flowing backwards from what it was meant to do, causing the light to glow. Because there is now a light bulb in line with the gas gauge, your reading will be wonky. I think it's the second fuse from the left. I hope that made sense.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks guys. It's definitely fuse #11. At least when I twirl the fuse around, contact resumes. I don't see any corrosion, but then again it's hard to tell down there in the cave while ones ribs are being jabbed with e-brake and/or shifter levers. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a modern style fuse-box in a convenient/accessible location
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."