Wiper Motor Rebuild

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Wiper Motor Rebuild

Post by Bookwus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Hiya All,

So I swapped out my wiper motor for the wiper motor I just cleaned and lubed. The wipers now actually have two speeds. Kinda exciting.

I thought that I'd clean and lube the motor I pulled from the car, but I ran into a bit of a problem... I think. The motor I pulled is a genuine Bosch OEM unit. It is put together a little differently that the motor I worked on before (a non-Bosch). Take a look at the brush arrangement...

The brushes are limited in their movement toward the commutator by the brass brush holder (try saying that fast). So, I'm thinking I need new brushes because these guys are just about all played out.

And... this is the commutator...

Those black marks on the commutator are actually grooves in the copper not just black markings from the graphite in the brushes. It looks to me as if this armature is shot.

So, if I want to rebuild this wiper motor (it is very well built and it would be a shame to toss it in the trashcan) I need to find an armature and the brushes for this motor.

Anybody out there have any ideas on where to look or go to find such parts?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 am

I would bring it into an auto-electric shop, plop it on the counter, and ask for brushes and have them turn and re-dress the commutator, or just have them redo the whole thing.
My 2 cents.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:37 am

There are a couple of electric shops in Portland that will do the job, but it's expensive. I don't remember the names however.
Maybe it would be cheaper/easier to go to Bill Trafton? Get another one for parts, or find a vendor for those parts. Good luck, have a nice day. :blackeye:
Doncha ever get stressed out when the pile of projects just keeps growing? It got to me last night, even though I have been making good progress. Well that's what spring is for.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat