'72 Bus Turn Signals and Hazard Lights PROBLEM SOLVED!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

'72 Bus Turn Signals and Hazard Lights PROBLEM SOLVED!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 pm

My turn signals stopped working on the way back from Nehalem last week and I can use some help in diagnosing/fixing this. With the key on, the green indicator light on the dash lights up for the turn signals but just stays lit - doesn't blink and there is nothing lit up at the bulbs. For the hazard lights - The red hazard knob doesn't light up at all and I have nothing at the bulbs.

The parking lights work fine.

Let me know what to check/replace/look for and how. Thanks guys.
-'72 Westy-

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Poketh thy head under the dash and see if your hazard light switch is all still in one piece. Many, many threads have started with "my signals don't work" and have happily ended with "I zip-tied my switch back together".

Let us know.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:14 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Poketh thy head under the dash and see if your hazard light switch is all still in one piece. Many, many threads have started with "my signals don't work" and have happily ended with "I zip-tied my switch back together".

Let us know.
Good call.

Also, wiggle the flasher relay a little with either in the signalling position.
There is a fuse #12? 11? that can kill the ticker in the relay and give you insolent flasher indicators that just glower at you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Everything behind the flasher knob is intact.

Where does the flasher relay look like? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Oregon72 wrote:Everything behind the flasher knob is intact.

Where does the flasher relay look like? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
That might be a too-facile report. The emergency switches are famous for loosening between the phenolic "cap" where all the spades stick out, and the pot metal body of the switch that has these little tabs that are supposed to hold it all together. It is under spring pressure.

At any rate (if you actually did get up there and are confident that the switch is securely assembled) the relay is usually the smaller of the two rectangular boxes on the relay board under and to the front of the fuse array in '70 and later buses.
Colin

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Do I need to remove the three screws that hold the fuse box down and remove the fuse box to get to the relay? I bought a new relay from NAPA that has 3 prongs - L, R, and X it is silver and cylindrical (about the size of a 35mm film canister) - I'm not sure if this is the right thing to use or not. I've kept my reciept in case I got the wrong thing.
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 am

Oregon72 wrote:Do I need to remove the three screws that hold the fuse box down and remove the fuse box to get to the relay? I bought a new relay from NAPA that has 3 prongs - L, R, and X it is silver and cylindrical (about the size of a 35mm film canister) - I'm not sure if this is the right thing to use or not. I've kept my reciept in case I got the wrong thing.
You gotta do what you gotta do. If you feel you must lower the box, disconnect the negative if you have any concerns whatsoever about the possibility of an unintended short. I cannot conjure up the 1972's relay set-up like I can the '73 where you just pull out the old one and put in the new one.
Surry,
Colin

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:39 am

Oregon72 wrote:Do I need to remove the three screws that hold the fuse box down and remove the fuse box to get to the relay? I bought a new relay from NAPA that has 3 prongs - L, R, and X it is silver and cylindrical (about the size of a 35mm film canister) - I'm not sure if this is the right thing to use or not. I've kept my reciept in case I got the wrong thing.
I returned the silver cylindrical flasher relay for the black square one that is the correct OEM replacement (about $12 or $13) according to the computer system at NAPA. I got home and replaced the flasher relay hoping that was the culprit and .... whaddaya know??

IT IS FIXED :cheers: :cheers:

It would be good to note that it is likely the silver cylindrical one would have worked as well, the one that I replaced was black and square so I thought that would be best.

For those that don't know and stumble upon this thread later, the relays are plugged into the bottom of the fuse array and one must simply unclip it and lift it up and out of it's holder to see and replace. Be careful not to dislodge any wires while messing around up there and when you remove the bad relay, take care to note exactly where your new one will go.

Thanks guys-
-'72 Westy-