1971 Bus - Pulley Noise - Metal Shavings In Engine Bay

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

1971 Bus - Pulley Noise - Metal Shavings In Engine Bay

Post by Maz804 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:26 pm

I saw metal shavings strewn about all over the engine compartment.
I checked behind my crankshaft pulley, a Gene Berg deal, hoping it wasn't the case being chewed up or something like that!

When I thought about it logically, it seemed like it would be coming from the generator pulley area. Someone also told me a couple months ago that my generator was mounted incorrectly, as the holes are not where they should be lined up.:

I don't have the photo of the generator, but you can see the little bits of metal here and there. The generator 'D' terminals are basically like 90 degrees clockwise from where they should be.

When I started the bus to look at it when sitting at idle, I can hear the generator starting to squeak...
So, bad generator?

Also, while running errands around town the other day the bus died right in the middle of the road. I turned the key off, then tried to start it and the red lights just faded to a barely lit state.
After a minute, I turned the key and he fired right up.

Related? I do have a spare battery with me as I've been having to charge my battery every few days because of a short, or the genny is just not charging enough. I have my multimeter too. I recall that it was charging when revved, but not very much. I'll check again today. The belt tension seems to be okay, but when it's turning there's a bit of play/wobble in the belt. Might need to be tightened up some more.

Merry Christmas from Miles and Me!
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Do you have a chrome generator pulley?

If so, see if you can find a stock one.
79 VW Bus

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:21 pm

If the belt tension is ok, a little wobbly is ok. They seem to tighten up with use, or heat.
Good luck with that short! That's important to track down for sure. You'll find it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1971 Bus - Pulley Noise - Metal Shavings In Engine Bay

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:27 am

Maz804 wrote:I saw metal shavings strewn about all over the engine compartment.
I don't have the photo of the generator, but you can see the little bits of metal here and there. The generator 'D' terminals are basically like 90 degrees clockwise from where they should be.

When I started the bus to look at it when sitting at idle, I can hear the generator starting to squeak...
So, bad generator?

Also, while running errands around town the other day the bus died right in the middle of the road. I turned the key off, then tried to start it and the red lights just faded to a barely lit state.
After a minute, I turned the key and he fired right up.

Related? I do have a spare battery with me as I've been having to charge my battery every few days because of a short,
With all that you have written here, I think we can agree that you have an issue with the generator. A quick check of any generator issue begins with the brushes. They should have enough material that the hold-down springs are not touching the brush holders. Metal shavings and squeaking most assuredly need to be investigated. Please update us.
Colin