1970 Ghia - Howling Noise

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

1970 Ghia - Howling Noise

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Do failing bearings in a generator sound like a windy howling? A deep whirring?

The ghia started sounding like that. Definitely related to engine rpm. I recently tightened the belt, maybe that pushed the bearings over the edge.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1970 Ghia - Howling Noise

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:17 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Do failing bearings in a generator sound like a windy howling? A deep whirring?

The ghia started sounding like that. Definitely related to engine rpm. I recently tightened the belt, maybe that pushed the bearings over the edge.

neal
Take the belt off and start the engine. Noise gone? Yer in the right place. Now spin the generator sans belt. Smooth or rough? Try to clank it back and forth. Any "axial" play? Ya need bearings.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 pm

That was the ticket. While the generator spins nice and smooth, with no discernable play anywhere, firing up the engine without the belt got rid of the noise. I guess it's days are numbered.

Dag nab it Luke,
neal

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Guessing it's a type 1 engine because of the generator reference. Check your cooling fan for debris. Could be a leaf twig or the snipped end of a zip-tie stuck in there. Think baseball cards in bicycle spokes only higher RPM.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:51 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Guessing it's a type 1 engine because of the generator reference. Check your cooling fan for debris. Could be a leaf twig or the snipped end of a zip-tie stuck in there. Think baseball cards in bicycle spokes only higher RPM.
Thanks vdubyah73. I did feel around the fan a bit and didn't find anything, and will definitely give it another thorough inspection before tackling replacing the generator, and yes, 1600 sp in a '70 ghia.

neal