Squealin' Squirrel Cage - '75 Bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Squealin' Squirrel Cage - '75 Bus

Post by BellePlaine » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:42 pm

So I finally got around to wiring up my auxiliary heater fan in my '75 bus. It works, but it turns kinda slow and makes a squealing noise and then burns up the 16 amp fuse. It did this twice, but the first time it worked well and fast without the squealing noise. Today is the first time that the fan has run in over 23 years after sitting in a barn for all of that time.

Is it possible to clean/lubricate the motor? I heard that it's bad to take the thing apart.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Squealin' Squirrel Cage - '75 Bus

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:51 pm

BellePlaine wrote:I heard that it's bad to take the thing apart.
You heard correctly. I experienced the same issue and figured I could take the motor apart and lube it. No such luck. You can get it apart, but neither I nor the building engineer where I work (who works on HVAC-type motors all day) could put humpty together again.

I suggest getting a good used one from Ken Madson at www.thebusco.com or a brand-spanky new one from Scott at German Supply.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... at=&page=1

Before I figured out these options, I bought a 12 volt motor from Grainger and retrofitted it in. More of a PITA than it was worth, especially when new ones are still available.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:14 am

Thanks dtrumbo, especally for the links. It's good to know that Scott has new ones. However, I have an untested used motor that I'll try. That's a bummer though that VW didn't allow for some kind of maintence for the thing.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 am

BellePlaine wrote:Thanks dtrumbo, especally for the links. It's good to know that Scott has new ones. However, I have an untested used motor that I'll try. That's a bummer though that VW didn't allow for some kind of maintence for the thing.
I took my '73 heater fan apart and cleaned it well and lubricated the bronze bushings with engine oil. Original equipment fan motor with 36 years and 588,000 miles of trouble-free service.

If you have a fan motor that needs lubrication, use non-detergent low viscosity engine oil or electric motor oil and oil the living crap out of it while clonking the motor shaft/fan blade in and out axially. Be completely stupid profligate and spin that fan blade all the while. You will feel magnetic resistance, do not worry about that, it is normal. Allow the oil to drain out and clean the results thoroughly so you don't blow oil vapor into the exchangers.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks Colin,

I have a tube of Electric Motor Oil that I used to oil the door hinges. I even have a pic of it!

I'll do this and report back.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Re: Squealin' Squirrel Cage - '75 Bus

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 am

BellePlaine wrote:It works but it turns kinda slow and makes a squealing noise and then burns up the 16 amp fuse.
That must be why someone pulled the squirrel cage out of the fan unit on my '75. They left the empty unit in place! WTF.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 am

Amskeptic wrote:I took my '73 heater fan apart and cleaned it well and lubricated the bronze bushings with engine oil.
So you took the fan blade off of the motor and without disassembling the motor itself lubed the shaft while rotating and tugging in and out? (John, don't even go there, this is the Technical Forums!) Apparently I was making it harder than it needed to be. Too bad I destroyed a motor that may have lived another day. Oh well, now we know. Thanks Colin!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!