Time For A New Battery!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:20 am

Thank you, fellas. So it's far less engineerical than I imagined. It's more tapemeasurical, it seems.

And see now... everyone in Free Speech probably thinks I'm bad at admitting that I know nothing, but I ain't afeard to expose my utter knownothingness!

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 am

I have a Valucraft (bargain Autobone) in the Beetle (two years) and had one in the Bus for four years. Both are still great. 600cca.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:30 pm

I went with a WAY big battery. When it's -4* while trying to crank the thing over, I need all the amps I can get.

I had to relocate the charcoal canister. I'm thinking about getting longer cables, putting the battery on the other side where there's more room and putting the stuff back on the passenger side.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Monster! There's a Checker and an AutoZone right across the street from work. Neither of them have a 42A. Neither do the websites. I don't know how you people find enjoyment in this stuff. :flower:

EDIT: I meant to type 42R and that's what I was looking for at the store.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Ask if they have just a Group 42 instead of 'A'. Costco has 'em, the NAPA store by my house has 'em. They shouldn't be that hard to find.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:35 pm

My battery is apparently wired backwards, ground is by the engine lid. Well it hasn't bothered me yet.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:42 pm

hambone wrote:My battery is apparently wired backwards, ground is by the engine lid. Well it hasn't bothered me yet.
All Type 1 buses had the positive towards the front of the car. VW came to understand that these cars brake harder than they accelerate, so they put the safer post forward.
:colors:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:My battery is apparently wired backwards, ground is by the engine lid. Well it hasn't bothered me yet.
All Type 1 buses had the positive towards the front of the car. VW came to understand that these cars brake harder than they accelerate, so they put the safer post forward.
:colors:
This is true. My '70 is like yours, Hammy and my '78 has the ground post forward. Yet another one of the subtle changes over the years.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Velo, have a look here
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_e ... fault.aspx and see if there is an "all battery center" or a "platinum dealer" near you.
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: Time For A New Battery!

Post by Hippie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I have had good luck with the local AutoZone Duralast for $59.95. It is now 5 going on 6 years old.
Ditto on the brand and age.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Update: Checker does have a battery that works and it is indeed a 42-sumpinerudder. $79.99 with a 3 yr warranty, I believe. Only 500 cca but I was noticing that my Interstate battery that's been in the bus for years is only 400 cca. I have my old battery on a 36-hour trickle charge now. I sure would love to save $90 if I can. The battery sat dead in the bus for probably a year, then Colin and I quick-charged it, then it sat another year. Am I hoping against hope that the battery still has any life in it? Finally getting super excited about having her on the road again!

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 am

Velo, if the Interstate has been dead a long time, maybe 36 hours is not enough time to bring it back from the abyss. Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltage being put in by the charger? <14 volts may not be enough. I also assume this is a *sealed* battery and you cannot check the acid level inside, right?
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:28 am

midatlanticys wrote:Velo, if the Interstate has been dead a long time, maybe 36 hours is not enough time to bring it back from the abyss. Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltage being put in by the charger? <14 volts may not be enough. I also assume this is a *sealed* battery and you cannot check the acid level inside, right?
Hoping you guys can help me determine whether my battery is likely dead, or possibly not:

It was on a trickle charge for 36 hours. When I took it off the charger and tested the voltage from the battery it started at 13.8V or so, then went down to 12.4V or so within an hour of sitting. Then, after sitting overnight, it's still right at 12.2-12.4V (very inexpensive voltmeter, I have).

Does that sound promising? Should I let it sit for 4-5 days and check again?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 am

I'd only trust it locally at first, but if it seems to be holding a charge, it should still do so, but maybe just short term.
After my engine build last winter, my 7 year old battery held a charge and I was able to use it all year until fall when it finally had enough. An old battery is what it is.
If you haven't been using your bus, I'd not trust it yet until it gets it's creaky joints back in service. Sitting does strange things to mechkanincks. Short local trips until you get the confidence back up.
10 cents is still 10 cents.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Velokid1 wrote: . . . . . whether my battery is likely dead, or possibly not:

It was on a trickle charge for 36 hours. When I took it off the charger and tested the voltage from the battery it started at 13.8V or so, then went down to 12.4V or so within an hour of sitting. Then, after sitting overnight, it's still right at 12.2-12.4V . . . . . Does that sound promising?
Yes, there IS life in that old girl!! The 13.8v was reading latent charging voltage. A battery needs to *settle* for at least 6 hrs after the charger is disconnected, then you get a true voltage reading of the battery state. Your 12.2-12.4v is a battery with a 50%-75% charge. Hook up the charger for another 36 hours, let it settle, then measure the terminal voltage again. 12.65v is a fully charged lead-acid battery.