1973 Riviera - Starting Problems, Coil?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

natep73
I'm New!

1973 Riviera - Starting Problems, Coil?

Post by natep73 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:02 pm

So I found some coil info on an old Samba thread, and I am wondering if this is my problem??

Thanks
The coil is a 3 terminal device: 15 is common to the two windings. 4 is the output to spark plugs.
All terminals disconnected, or coil out of the car.
Between 15 and 1 , ohm meter should tell, about 3.
Between 15 and 4 , ohm meter should tell, about 8000.
Between 1 and 4 , ohm meter should tell, about 8003.

My coil is showing about 7300 ohms, instead of 8000, is this my problem?
73 Riviera

and used to have about 6 others :(

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:09 pm

"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:18 am

According to John Muir.....HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE 19th edition, page 115-116

"Pull the center wire out of the distributor, get something really insulated to hold it, like a pair of pliers with plastic handles or use two plastic-handle screwdrivers like chop sticks. Hold the end of the wire about 1/8" to 1/4" from a bare metal surface and have someone turn the engine over with the key. If you get a bright, hot blue-white spark, your coil is like new. If you get a strong yellow spark, your coil is getting old but is still serviceable. If you get a weak, orange spark that will hardly jump the 1/4" gap, you need a new coil."
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

natep73
I'm New!

Post by natep73 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 am

Ya, I have done that one several times, I can never tell for sure what color it is. I think I need to try at night. I adjusted my points, and re-timed it, it seems to be working now.

The spark is definitely not white, so I will replace the coil soon.

Thanks
73 Riviera

and used to have about 6 others :(