'79 Westy After-market Horn Hook-up

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

'79 Westy After-market Horn Hook-up

Post by jackstar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:27 pm

I have a 79 Westy and would like to put a small boat horn in the place of the stock horn. The boat horn says it is 12v and you just put it in between the battery and a button and it works. So, I just put it in the place of my stock horn and it only bumps (?). No real sounds, just a low single grunt. Is the stock wiring for the stock horn not giving it 12v? Does the stock horn run on less than 12v? To test the volts at the end of the wires is this considered dc or ac and what should it read on my meter? Thanks for any insight you can give.

Jack

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:56 pm

First off, I'd test the horn. Take it back to the engine compartment and hook the negative side to any handy place on the chassis. Next take a wire attached to the positive and tap it against the positive battery terminal. This should make the horn sound. If it doesn't, your troubleshooting is over.

Question, was your stock horn working before you removed it?

BTW, it's 12 VDC and when you test the horn connections in front, you'll only see voltage when the horn button is depressed. If you don't, your troubleshooting is just getting started.

Be sure to report back what you find.

And welcome to the forum.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 pm

So?
Keep it acoustic.