LED Riviera Rear Interior Light

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

natep73
I'm New!

LED Riviera Rear Interior Light

Post by natep73 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 pm

So, on my 73 Rivi my fluorescent light in the back over the table isn't working anymore, hasn't worked since I bought it, the bulbs are good, and it is getting power.

I am thinking about putting some kind of LED in back there, I would like a lot of light, any one have any experience with this or ideas.

The dome light just behind the front seats is still fine.

I have another light up on the pop top, but when the upper bed is folded out, most of that light is blocked.

Thanks
73 Riviera

and used to have about 6 others :(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: LED Riviera Rear Interior Light

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

natep73 wrote:So, on my 73 Rivi my fluorescent light in the back over the table isn't working anymore, hasn't worked since I bought it, the bulbs are good, and it is getting power.

I am thinking about putting some kind of LED in back there,
I think you have a starter or ballast issue with a flourescent lamp that does not illuminate.

LED technology is improving and you should be able to find a decent set up that is bright enough and energy efficient . . . input? others?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: LED Riviera Rear Interior Light

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:I think you have a starter or ballast issue with a flourescent lamp that does not illuminate.
X2. By all means, explore the LED offerings that are out there today, but if you want to stay "retro", you can replace the entire fixture for about $60.00. It also has that nice simulated wood grain stripe that you'll want for your '70's era Rivi.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... light/6082
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:04 am

Nate - if you ever get a chance to check out Westy78's LED setup, you would be impressed. Perhaps you saw it at the RendezbeerVW -
When he's got the red LED's lit, that mean's there's something naughty goin on in there. :cheers:

Dtrumbo's idea looks really great though too - wood grained veneer is the bomb.
-'72 Westy-

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:35 am

Mmmm, naughty.

[albumimg]175[/albumimg]

[albumimg]174[/albumimg]

[albumimg]173[/albumimg]

[albumimg]171[/albumimg]

[albumimg]170[/albumimg]

They don't put out a huge amount of light but plenty enough to work by when it's completely dark.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 am

Westy78 wrote:Mmmm, naughty.

[albumimg]175[/albumimg]

[albumimg]174[/albumimg]

[albumimg]173[/albumimg]

[albumimg]171[/albumimg]

[albumimg]170[/albumimg]

They don't put out a huge amount of light but plenty enough to work by when it's completely dark.
I can hear Berry White.

natep73
I'm New!

Post by natep73 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 am

I love it Westy, that may be a little more work then I want to do right now, but, I think I am leaning that way. I know the red has it's purpose, :bounce: but..... if you went all white, would it have more light? Does anyone have any hints on removing the panels to get those things in?

DT, I think we want to go more functional then retro, I just put in Laminate floors, and we love them, as well as removed the jump seat and sink/fridge. We really like having that big open space. We just do the cooking outside.

We still have the OG curtains though, and are working on replacing the upholstery (right now we just have 3 pieces of foam with crib sheets on them), the stuff in it when we bought it was ripped up and disgusting.
We are going to put in something that looks like it could be retro, but is new.

I know this is blasphemy, but we would like to take out the bulkhead thingy's and put in swivel front seats, but I have no idea how to go about this.

Thanks for all the answers, and ideas, this forum is so much better than The Samba, and it is great having actually seen some of you. I'm always willing to hear more ideas.
73 Riviera

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 am

natep73 wrote:I love it Westy, that may be a little more work then I want to do right now, but, I think I am leaning that way. I know the red has it's purpose, bounce but..... if you went all white, would it have more light? Does anyone have any hints on removing the panels to get those things in?
The reds were primarily to save me from being blinded in the middle of the night if I needed to get up. Red light affects night vision less than white light. If I went with all white lights it would definitely put out more light. When it's pitch dark outside camping, which when you're camping it usually is, this combo puts out plenty of light. Plus I can run them for hours on end without running down the battery.

The panels come out with just the removal of the screws down the center and the pinch welt over the sheet metal. At least that's how it is on the Westy's. I can't remember what my Rivi panels looked like.

Oh, and those lights are just stuck on with the included 3M adhesive backing. I just tucked the wires up behind the pinch welt trim and behind the panels.

natep73
I'm New!

Post by natep73 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

Where did you get the lights? Did you drill a hole in the paneling for each light to run the wires behind all the way around?
Dang I wish I had this idea before Maupin if you were there.

Thanks again.
73 Riviera

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I can't find the company I bought from recently (about a year ago). Surplus LED is no longer there but this place has similar items. Look around at the bulb options. I swapped out all my dash lights and several interior lights, and you can use the same fixtures you have now.

http://www.ledlight.com/automotive-led-lights.aspx

I bet you could easily mount some bulb holders in the flourescent fixture with some slight mods.

Jasan's is the nicest set up I've see so far, just watch out if your sitting inside and the slider goes shut and the lights switch to red. :cyclopsani:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

natep73 wrote:Where did you get the lights? Did you drill a hole in the paneling for each light to run the wires behind all the way around?
Dang I wish I had this idea before Maupin if you were there.

Thanks again.
Here is where I got them. Third section down. Switches I got from Radio Shack.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm

No drilling needed. They come with 3M adhesive on the backs and then the wires sit in a recess and go behind the pinch welt and panel. You can kind of see it here. Click the photo to get the full size.

[albumimg]172[/albumimg]

I was just down the way from you guys in Maupin. Up in my own little corner. :flower:

Tex33M
I'm New!

Post by Tex33M » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 am

I have a similar setup in Mae Westy. The white ones are tied to the dome light circut and four of them give a soft light that really looks great when you open a door. I have some of the UV ones as well that I am going to try for night lighting, and planning on putting a couple more of the white ones in the engine bay.

Mine came from Superbrightleds.com as well. I have been really happy with their shipping times and I haven't had a single problem in the four or so times I have used them.

I will see if I have a decent photo to post.
Mae the 76 Westy
2.0L of Fuel Injected Fury