1969 Bus - Generator Light Was On For A While....

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

coilette
I'm New!

1969 Bus - Generator Light Was On For A While....

Post by coilette » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I have an alternator in my '69. I was cruisin' the other day and the generator light came on. I finished driving where I had to go, the light faded off, so I drove her a few more times with the light coming on more often than not... till it died.
She's on a trickle charger now so I can get enough juice to work with. My wiring under the dash is a mess and several things have shorted out recently. Although those things are fixed, it's still a mess. Other than all of that, is there a better place to start looking for the problem?
everything has a balance

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Make sure the belt is not broken and that it is spinning the fan.

Start by making sure all of your connections are good and then move on to testing the battery, then the alternator.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1969 Bus - Generator Light Was On For A While....

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:31 pm

coilette wrote:I have an alternator in my '69. I was cruisin' the other day and the generator light came on. I finished driving where I had to go, the light faded off, so I drove her a few more times with the light coming on more often than not... till it died.
She's on a trickle charger now so I can get enough juice to work with. My wiring under the dash is a mess and several things have shorted out recently. Although those things are fixed, it's still a mess. Other than all of that, is there a better place to start looking for the problem?
This is a classic symptom of a grounding rotor IF the light comes on at higher rpms, then starts slowly coming on at lower and lower rpms until finally it is on even at idle.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jeb1978
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeb1978 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:43 pm

This is a classic symptom of a grounding rotor IF the light comes on at higher rpms, then starts slowly coming on at lower and lower rpms until finally it is on even at idle.
OK, I'll bite... what is a "grounding rotor"? I've been having intermittent generator-light-on issues on my '69 Bus as of late. It would come and go for about two weeks, be on solid for a key cycle, then off again. Then it was off at idle, but on at 3000 RPM and higher. Now it's on all the time.

All the testing I've done per the Bentley says my generator is bad (30 amp). I noticed that one of the wires from commutator is broken off when swapping the brushes around. I would assume this is the problem.
1969 Westfalia 1600cc single port

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Bartoli wrote:
This is a classic symptom of a grounding rotor IF the light comes on at higher rpms, then starts slowly coming on at lower and lower rpms until fiunally it is on even at idle.
OK, I'll bite... what is a "grounding rotor"? I've been having intermittent generator-light-on issues on my '69 Bus as of late. It would come and go for about two weeks, be on solid for a key cycle, then off again. Then it was off at idle, but on at 3000 RPM and higher. Now it's on all the time.

All the testing I've done per the Bentley says my generator is bad (30 amp). I noticed that one of the wires from commutator is broken off when swapping the brushes around. I would assume this is the problem.
Grounding rotor symptom is specific to alternator-equipped cars.

Broken wire on commutator? Yes.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles