'82 Vanagon. How Do You Count The Pins On the ECU?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dweomer21
I'm New!

Post by dweomer21 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:51 am

Huh. That is very useful info. I had assumed that the stock ECU was used ('81 manual Vanagon Federal). Looks like the guy swapped out the original engine with the '79 bus engine, AND swapped out the ECU at the same time. I'm wondering what else he swapped at that point, and if he swapped anything incorrectly. I mean, when you swap an engine, do you also usually also swap the ECU, AFM, and, say, the double relay (as an arbitrary example)? No need to answer that, I'm just thinking out loud.

Since you say the swap-ability of these parts is pretty good, I'm gonna stop worrying that the engine swapper mismatched the parts in a way that could interfere with my van's optimal health. Sweet! Now on with the troubleshooting! I installed my new AFM, plasti-dipped the intake boot, replaced all the hoses, replaced the fuel filter, air filter, temp sensor, plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and changed the oil and filter, and it now starts, but stalls (very quickly) after about 10 seconds. It sounds really loud, too, like a valve clatter. However, I will post in the appropriate forum if and when I need specific guidance. I am going to work on the timing first, and then you'll likely hear from me again :-)
Thanks again for the useful info!
-scott