Bus Won't Start

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

coilette
I'm New!

Bus Won't Start

Post by coilette » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:35 am

Sooo. When the key is in and on, my gas gauge doesn't move and the lights are wayyy dim. I push the starter button and the lights go off, but nothing else happens.... ?
everything has a balance

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:09 am

Start simple.... it sounds like a dead battery. Any previous symptoms or warning signs?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

coilette
I'm New!

Post by coilette » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:08 am

No warnings. I just went to start her to go to the store, drove earlier in the day just fine, and i have an Optima deep-cycle battery.... I'll try jumpin' her again.
everything has a balance

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm

What year Bus? Might be worth a trip to the local Autozone or what have you to get the charging system checked out once you get it started again.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Try pulling the cables off of the battery, cleaning the posts and connectors, and replacing. Sounds like a possible bad connection.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bus Won't Start

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:13 pm

coilette wrote:Sooo. When the key is in and on, my gas gauge doesn't move and the lights are wayyy dim. I push the starter button and the lights go off, but nothing else happens.... ?
If the lights are dim right off the bat, discharged battery. A famous symptom in the winter months for these cars.

If you have bright lights and everything drops out dead when you hit the starter, then it is usually crap at the posts/terminals of the battery.

Charge your battery on the trickle charger (2A) overnight when you have a dead battery incident. Gotta get the sulfite (or is it sulphate?) off the plates pronto.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Might also want to clean and tighten the chassis ground strap.
79 VW Bus

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Could this have been caused by the winter cold causing the metal of the connections to contract, allowing corrosion to build or even plain old air to hamper the conductivity? I usually leave my connections just loose enough to wiggle free without tools, for convenience sake during maintenance, but I don't need to sit out in the cold scraping crud off the battery either.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

coilette
I'm New!

Post by coilette » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:52 pm

It happened again, then occurred to me that when we jump her, we move around the battery connections which temporarily allowed power to flow. Now that I have made sure to clean it well, think I'll be o.k. or I'll at least know what's going on next time. :)
everything has a balance

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:58 pm

DjEep wrote:Could this have been caused by the winter cold causing the metal of the connections to contract, allowing corrosion to build or even plain old air to hamper the conductivity?
Temperature reduces efficiency very rapidly. Even a brand-new charged battery is only 1/2 as efficient at 0* F as 68* F.

Oil viscosity then works directly against starter speed with this already weakened battery. There is a rapid oxidation event with a loose terminal on a battery. Once the starter demands draw, a film of flat grey can spring up between the post and terminal and knock out the conductivity lickity split. Add possible fuel condensation and ignition degradation due to amp draw of the starter, and you can see that it is "good" to get everything optimized before winter. In a pinch, if you have a discharged battery and you just have to get outta there, take the battery out of the car and bring it inside for a couple of hours. You'd be surprised. . .
Colin

coilette
I'm New!

Post by coilette » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 pm

So I have still had problems here and there. The lights come on when the key is turned, nothing when I push the button. The lights are no longer dim though. Maybe 1 of every 5 times I try to start her this happens, so I try again, and no problem! Until today. The battery is definitely charged, and there is no corrosion left on the cables or battery, so I'm thinking the problem is in the ignition?

My head hurts from this, any more advice?
everything has a balance

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 pm

coilette wrote:So I have still had problems here and there. The lights come on when the key is turned, nothing when I push the button. The lights are no longer dim though. Maybe 1 of every 5 times I try to start her this happens, so I try again, and no problem! Until today. The battery is definitely charged, and there is no corrosion left on the cables or battery, so I'm thinking the problem is in the ignition?

My head hurts from this, any more advice?
Failing starter solenoid if the *headlamps* are bright and you know the battery is charged and the warning lamps in the dash *respond* to your starter request with a slight dimming. If they sit there with no response, then it could be a bad connection between the "button" and the solenoid. If the warning lamps dim slightly, it means the signal did get to the solenoid, but it refuses to perform its work.
Colin

coilette
I'm New!

Post by coilette » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:17 am

So now I firmly believe it's the button. I pulled it out, turned the key and tapped the wires together.... success!!!

I kinda had a feeling, but I always like a second opinion. Thanks Colin! :flower:
everything has a balance

coilette
I'm New!

Post by coilette » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 am

I've been looking online, but eBay is the only place i can find a new button for sale. I don't like eBay much, anywhere else you could suggest looking?
everything has a balance

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:09 am

coilette wrote:I've been looking online, but eBay is the only place i can find a new button for sale. I don't like eBay much, anywhere else you could suggest looking?
Any button available anywhere should work. The solenoid does not draw more than a few amps. You just want to specify "momentary" so you can be sure that it is spring-loaded inside.
How about replacing the ignition switch? Then you can start with the key.

Colin