Gas Gauge - '79 Bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Gas Gauge - '79 Bus

Post by DjEep » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Gas gauge goes to 1/2 mark when full, then drops to "E" within 2 gallons. Does this sound like a sender or a gauge issue, or do I hafta get off my lazy duff, bust out the Bentley and a VOM, and start testing to find out?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Gas Gauge - '79 Bus

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:38 pm

DjEep wrote:Gas gauge goes to 1/2 mark when full, then drops to "E" within 2 gallons. Does this sound like a sender or a gauge issue, or do I hafta get off my lazy duff, bust out the Bentley and a VOM, and start testing to find out?
Try a couple of lazy checks as far as poor connections at the fuel sender wire along the right frame rail, there is a ground screw for the ground wire accessible after the firewall is off but before you have to pull the tank. Connections at the gauge and vibrator can be cleaned. How did this symptom arrive, suddenly or over time?
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Re: Gas Gauge - '79 Bus

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
DjEep wrote:Gas gauge goes to 1/2 mark when full, then drops to "E" within 2 gallons. Does this sound like a sender or a gauge issue, or do I hafta get off my lazy duff, bust out the Bentley and a VOM, and start testing to find out?
Try a couple of lazy checks as far as poor connections at the fuel sender wire along the right frame rail, there is a ground screw for the ground wire accessible after the firewall is off but before you have to pull the tank. Connections at the gauge and vibrator can be cleaned. How did this symptom arrive, suddenly or over time?
Colin
Mine does the same (White '75). Must check out. Suspect sender and engine pull, which with 100k Gex is probably not far in the future. Fingers crossed.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Take the wire going to fuel sender unit, ground it and watch what your needle does. If i remember correctly there is a connector tee somewhere in the right rear wheel well. It's been awhile.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:17 pm

dingo wrote:Take the wire going to fuel sender unit, ground it and watch what your needle does. If i remember correctly there is a connector tee somewhere in the right rear wheel well. It's been awhile.
Seems like if ground was an issue that the sender wouldn't work properly for the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the tank. Am I missing something?

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 pm

The fuel sender is a variable resistor (either wiper or other mechanism). By grounding the sender wire (not the ground wire), you are introducing zero resistance to the gauge. The gauge should hit empty or full, I forget which. This verifies a functioning gauge.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

I would assume zero resistance would be "full", since at "off" (infinite resistance) it is on the E.

I'll try cleaning the connections at the sender.

I actually never thought it worked at all, then when I topped it off for the rescue run from Waldport, it magically "worked".
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Makes sense. Thanks.