Double Relay & The AAR

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Double Relay & The AAR

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:58 am

I have a sticky double relay. Bus starts fine 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time it starts right up and shuts right off as soon as you let go of the key. Hop out and go rap the double relay with my pocket knife a couple times and all is well.
I have an idle issue, starts and runs fine like above, but it idles low cold and high when warmed up. If I turn down the idle when it's warm, the idle when it's cold is too low. I have to split the difference.

The question: Does the run side, the sticky side, of the double relay supply power to the AAR and is that what the problem is?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Double Relay & The AAR

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:17 am

vdubyah73 wrote: Does the run side, the sticky side, of the double relay supply power to the AAR and is that what the problem is?
The Auxiliary Air Regulator only has a heater that is powered through the double relay. Its functional job is purely mechanical. Its misbehavior appears to be internal if the warm idle is high for too long (i.e. the engine's ambient heat will close a functional AAR even if the heater does not work) and you have a low speed cold start. I will reiterate here that you should not play with adjustments or settings to try to cure transient problems.

SO replace the double relay already :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles