Glass Mat Battery Power Connection

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Glass Mat Battery Power Connection

Post by Gypsie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:30 am

I have been blessed with a couple of these batteries

http://www.oksolar.com/pdfiles/battery_ ... l45slc.pdf

I would like to put them in the Gypsie Wagon.

I have two to use and a perfect spot behind the cabinet cooler.

They seem to be putting out a bit more than 12 volts each.

These will not be connected to any other items other than one or two standard auto utility ports or maybe a little inverter for some ac power (hoping to hook up some recording and sound shaping gear. No amplification, just recording, backwoods style).

I am looking for some electrical engineering advice.

Power conditioning recommendations?

Connection suggestions?

I have a trickle charger I was going to wire to the camper aux battery.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Gypsie, nice score!

They can be wired up about any way you wish. I guess you will want to charge them from your alternator as you drive, but be otherwise independent from your regular starting battery?
What's your level of electrical knowledge? Well, even if you've got none, this will be pretty easy to implement.
Jim

jblair630
Getting Hooked!

Post by jblair630 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:38 am

Very very cool.

I will be very interested in following your adventure with this as it is something I will be doing sometime in the future.

The amount and type of gear you will be hooking up will determine your setup. Power conditioning is vital. A cheapo solution that I have used on remote recording gigs is a UPS. A decent one will do a good job cleaning surges, spikes, etc. and it will give you an annoying beep of a warning when you are running out of juice. Hopefully enough time to save your work before it dies.

Try and keep the amount of gear you have to hook up to power to a minimum. Mission creep is a huge danger here as I well know. I can take a trip across country with a minimum of stuff but if I have a recording gig next door then I have the car packed to the rafters with backup mics, recording devices, cables, etc. I have been using a lovely little hand held recorder (Zoom H4) and have found it to be very good in minimalist recording situations, it even has a couple of XLR inputs so I can hook it up to my portable mixing board (see - mission creep again).

I'm very curious about your "sound-shaping" stuff. Are you talking about mic-pres, compressors, reverb, etc. or are you referring to Moogs, envelope generators, and morphing? My guess is the first but I'm having fun imagining a rolling Electro-acoustic synthesis lab.

[sings] The hills are alive...with the sound of Electro-acoustic synthesis methodology [/sings]

Jeffrey
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Grateful Phred - 1971 Bus
Fweem - 1974 Super Beetle