Bus Cigarette Lighter Installation

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

misszora
IAC Addict!

Bus Cigarette Lighter Installation

Post by misszora » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Helloooo!

I've perused some of the threads relating to the cigarette lighter and have found a lot of information about disconnecting it and why.

I'd like to install one in Miss Zora for my trip to Burning Man. I will be using it to charge my vehicle's battery through an on-dash solar panel; play & charge my iPod; charge my cell phone.

What I'd love to know is this:
What is the best type of replacement lighter and where is the best place to connect it (fuse box/wiring-wise) in a 1977 bus? :cherry:

thanks!
paige
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm

I bought this...

from West Marine.

Installed it here (I abandoned the rectangular plate with the screw holes)...

using the existing hole in the metal dash that's hidden by the vinyl dash cover (you'll see what I'm talking about when you look under there). The hole is about 3/8" and needs to be enlarged to 7/8" for the receptacle to fit. An electrician's Greenlee chassis punch works perfectly for this, but they're kinda expensive for a one-time use. Maybe a co-worker in the engineering dept. might have one you could borrow.

I then hooked it to fuse #7 in the fuse box. This fuse was reserved for the optional ambulance fans (which you probably don't have so it's ready and waiting). Fuse #7 also is connected directly to the battery so it will work perfectly for solar charging and iPod playing without the key being on.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:51 pm

dtrumbo wrote: using the existing hole in the metal dash that's hidden by the vinyl dash cover (you'll see what I'm talking about when you look under there). The hole is about 3/8" and needs to be enlarged to 7/8" for the receptacle to fit. An electrician's Greenlee chassis punch works perfectly for this, but they're kinda expensive for a one-time use. Maybe a co-worker in the engineering dept. might have one you could borrow.

I then hooked it to fuse #7 in the fuse box. This fuse was reserved for the optional ambulance fans (which you probably don't have so it's ready and waiting). Fuse #7 also is connected directly to the battery so it will work perfectly for solar charging and iPod playing without the key being on.
That is so very, very incredibly helpful. Thank you so much! I've got a lot of little projects to tackle in the next couple of weeks - including (yes, FINALLY!!!) installing the seat cushions you sent me. =D>
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:24 pm

Upon further review... you might want to use fuse #9 instead, unless you've got something hooked to it already. It should be a red 16 amp fuse as opposed to the white 8 amp fuse that's in slot #7. The higher current fuse would be more appropriate for use with a power receptacle.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!