Aftermarket Wire Harness

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

left handed kennedy
I'm New!

Aftermarket Wire Harness

Post by left handed kennedy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:06 pm

I have a 78 Westy that has wires going everywhere and attaching to nothing. In the records that the PO gave me a shop told him that something needed to be done about the wiring.

Here's my question. Does anyone know of a shop in the So Cal area that builds wire harnesses? I would like to replace/update the wiring in my bus, but have run into a road block trying to find a manufacturer.

Thanks
John

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:50 pm

There is a member here named KYLE who builds FI harnesses. He might be able to help you. Shoot him a PM.

I'm gonna take a shot at making a new main harness for my Bus.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

KYLE
I'm New!

Post by KYLE » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:46 pm

I can help you out with a full harness set for your 78. I am currently making the FI harnesses and could develop the body wiring harnesses if needed.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 am

Anyone know where I can get one for a dual carb setup? Specifically the engine harness (Tho I might need the main harness as well).

I'm guessing that this is something that doesn't exist and I'm either going to have to make my own or find a used one in good shape...
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 pm

You can easily make the harness for the dual carbs. I made the one for mine in about 1 hour start to finish. Cost about $12.00 for the wire, connectors, and heat shrink.
The best part of the harness on mine is that Colin showed me how to make it so the tuning of the carbs is a lot easier.
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:05 am

Excellent!

Any tips on where to get the parts or even a walk-thru would be nice.

No worries if not, I'm sure I can figure it out.
1973 Camper - Bliss

left handed kennedy
I'm New!

Post by left handed kennedy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 am

I was thinking that I would build a full wire harness from scratch. I would like to upgrade the fusebox to something newer. What are your thoughts?
1978 Westfalia- grey over black (all flat).

I'm only wearing black till they come up with something darker.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 pm

left handed kennedy wrote:I was thinking that I would build a full wire harness from scratch. I would like to upgrade the fusebox to something newer. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are the original fuse box is plenty capable. You might want to have it located where the non-air-conditioned buses have it located, and route the wiring neatly and sensibly under there. You can turn out the two phillips screws in the fuse box and drop it down when you need to go in deep. When you follow the factory wiring, you have a nice reference for future work. When you customize, you might remember where everything goes for the first year or so, but any future work by anyone else. . . . . . . . of course, a nice glow-in-the-dark ruby red transparent plastic fuse box with little plastic skulls striped with fuse elements would look nicely Goth.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

left handed kennedy
I'm New!

Post by left handed kennedy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Your absolutely right about the fuse box. Last Thurs. you said the same thing and I think I just wasn't listening. What I think I'll do is make the wiring harness using the correct color codes and then rewire the whole thing. I'll keep you posted on how it's going.
1978 Westfalia- grey over black (all flat).

I'm only wearing black till they come up with something darker.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Can someone please point me to where I can order all the connectors and such? I need to re-do my engine harness. The PO was nice enough to give me the melted mess of wires that was previously there, but I don't think I can really re-use any of the old stuff.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
1973 Camper - Bliss

KYLE
I'm New!

Post by KYLE » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:26 pm

I really like the thought of everybody making their own harnesses cause you can remake it to meet your needs and there is no better way to learn exactly how your bus is wired. The components of the harnesses are relatively common, but are usually sold in high quantities. The factory style terminals require specific crimping tools. I ordered the wire needed to construct the harnesses using not only the correct color/striping, but also the correct gauge. This was not cheap as you must buy 1000 feet of wire to get striping. My plan is to be able to reconstruct and modify, if needed, any harness for all generations of air-cooled VW's, especially buses.

I feel that this VW community is very unique. I want to help everybody to keep their vehicle on the road.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Excellent =)

If you're willing to make a replacement for the dual carb engine, I would gladly pay you, sing your praises, name a star after you, whatever ;)

Just let me know!
1973 Camper - Bliss

KYLE
I'm New!

Post by KYLE » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Is there any way that you can get the harness out and send it to me so that I can copy it?

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Sure.
It's already out, sitting in the bed. Just let me know where to send it and such.

Thanks again!
1973 Camper - Bliss

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:42 pm

I give Kyle's harness' a thumbs up. Quality materials and work with some nice upgrades.

Here are some photos of the harness I got for my new engine last week. Click for better detail.

full harness

New plug boots and plastic housings

Nice condition refurbed plugs

Numbers (wire diagram track?) embedded under wire spade/plug pin seals.

Nicely secured and covered in abrasion resistant material in the high friction points (like where the harness runs under the air box mount).

All pins packed with dielectric grease, a nice touch.

One of the upgrades. Fused jumper harness for the double relay. Comes with tool for removing the pin in the plug to install jumper. Makes for clean install instead of splicing into the wire itself.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.