90 Vanagon no start problem.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ainokea
I'm New!

90 Vanagon no start problem.

Post by ainokea » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:17 pm

One problem that I have seen here relating to Vanagon no start situations have all been resolved. However, I have another problem and solution I thought I'd pass along to this site. THE PROBLEM, no start, new distributor installed, 022 ECU installed, new coil installed, but no spark and no fuel pump action so no fuel pressure, and no start. Next step is to pull the fuse panel. On the back side there will be a long white, multi pin block connector. On pulling this connector, look at the under side. If there is sign of a burn, that's the problem. cut the pin off and strip it. The proper tool to remove the pin is necessary and a friend who has a fuse panel that had been removed from another Vanagon would be good, but it doesn't matter what it came from because if it has the right size pin and a couple of inches of wire sticking up, that's what is needed I would recommend taking a pin with 12 gauge wire with the pin and either solder or butt connect the two wires, then replace the pin in the block connector. With the connector back in the fuse panel, see if it starts, if it does, problem solved, if not, something else is wrong but nothing that can't be fixed. Ainokea

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 90 Vanagon no start problem.

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:57 am

ainokea wrote: PROBLEM, no start,
new distributor, 022 ECU, new coil installed, but no spark and no fuel pump action
pull the fuse panel. On the back side there will be a long white, multi pin block connector. On pulling this connector, look at the under side.

If there is sign of a burn, that's the problem. cut the pin off and strip it. The proper tool to remove the pin is necessary and a friend who has a fuse panel that had been removed from another Vanagon would be good, but it doesn't matter what it came from because if it has the right size pin and a couple of inches of wire sticking up, that's what is needed I would recommend taking a pin with 12 gauge wire with the pin and either solder or butt connect the two wires, then replace the pin in the block connector. With the connector back in the fuse panel, see if it starts, if it does, problem solved, if not, something else is wrong but nothing that can't be fixed. Ainokea
Got Bentley Manual? Can you identify the pin you speak of?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ainokea
I'm New!

Post by ainokea » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 pm

No, I can't remember the pin number, no diagram just past experience, however, when the block connector is pulled and viewed, the burned pin or pins, will be self evident. What I do remember is that the wire in the Bentley diagram is black 14 ga. and comes out of the fuse panel and provides power directly to the coil. This no start problem was the same as found on the early Rabbit caused by a 14 gauge fuel pump wire that was to small for the load. Same problem, same white pin block too, just smaller. I think at least 12 gauge wire should've been used for this circuit.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:08 am

ainokea wrote:No, I can't remember the pin number, no diagram just past experience, however, when the block connector is pulled and viewed, the burned pin or pins, will be self evident. What I do remember is that the wire in the Bentley diagram is black 14 ga. and comes out of the fuse panel and provides power directly to the coil. This no start problem was the same as found on the early Rabbit caused by a 14 gauge fuel pump wire that was to small for the load. Same problem, same white pin block too, just smaller. I think at least 12 gauge wire should've been used for this circuit.
That would be the 15 ignition wire leading from the ignition switch, through the T 8 connector to the coil. Rabbits, Vanagons, all from the era of severe cheaping out as Volkswagen applied themselves diligently to destroying the then best reputation for reliability of any mass-produced car.
Colincrank
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ainokea
I'm New!

Post by ainokea » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:03 pm

I don't have a Bentley Manual, that's why I couldn't give an exact location of the problem. The first time I had this situation was on a tow in at the shop where I worked. After preliminary checking, I got into the manual then the fuse panel. There it was, just like on the early watercooled VW's. A white pin block with a burn. Replaced the pin, problem solved. I believe I had 3 or 4 more of those before retiring. Not many but enough to agree that VW reliability is questionable as the fuel pump by pass harness that was available in the 80's is testimony that VW was aware of the problem and chose to do nothing about it. I think many of us who have been and are in the business have concluded that VW's are not made better today, they are just more complicated, expensive, and cheaply built. Ainokea