A/C option for '81 air cooled Westy

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

A/C option for '81 air cooled Westy

Post by VWinVT » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:47 am

Wasn't sure where to post this, but since its an electric compressor...this seemed correct. Since my electrical knowledge is limited at best, but my imagination is intact...Would this Jeg's remote mount A/C compressor work in my 1981 Vanagon? Is my stock alternator up to the task? Will it be to be a draw on the engine, resulting in a big HP drop? Will this compressor cool the van?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 3/10002/-1

My idea is to modify my exist 'heater box' and install an evaporator core where the heater core would go and use the existing blower...seems to make sense...

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: A/C option for '81 air cooled Westy

Post by asiab3 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:30 am

"It comes in small and large for 2-seaters and 4-seaters."

So, uhh, what about a 9-seater?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWinVT » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:35 am

well...technically my westy is a 4 seater....but I get your point. was wondering if the 6500 BTU is enough to make it worthwhile for the van?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:02 am

Do you (or anyone else) have the specifications for the originally-installed air conditioners?

30 amps is a lot to just add to a stock charging system. I'm not saying it couldn't handle it, but I'm not saying it would be advisable either. Normal AC compressors cycle on and off routinely, but they are also matched to the cabin size and cooling requirements. That is the end of my AC knowledge, I hope someone more experienced chimes in with some more positive comments... :pirate:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:33 pm

VWinVT wrote: a) Jeg's A/C compressor work in my 1981 Vanagon?
b) stock alternator up to the task?
c) Will this compressor cool the van?

d) My idea is to modify my exist 'heater box' and install an evaporator core where the heater core would go and use the existing blower...seems to make sense...
a) Yes it might.
b) Maybe.
c) Maybe.

d) Not a good idea.

a) it should be mounted near the battery with no-fooling-around excellent dedicated wiring job.
b) alternator should put 25% of battery amp/hour rating. If you have a 25 amp a/c compressor on top of other usual loads, the battery is going to make up the difference by discharging. At that point, the alternator is going to be putting out at max output > read: heat, and you will have issues if the lights are on and the wipers are on. Using the a/c to defog the windshield is a sensible use of the a/c, but that suggests that you have the wipers and lights on.
c) the Vanagon should be rated exactly as a room, by square footage. You have about 75 square feet floor space and an r value of damn close to 0, so size the compressor to a 100 sq ft room and you are in the 6000 btu range.

d) big crazy mess in the distribution plenum. Sticking an evaporator in there is going to require modifications that I promise you will lead to whistles and diminished effectiveness and assembly issues, not to mention questions like where to stick the bulb for the expansion valve.

Go on a trip without a/c and re-acclimate yourself to the first several thousand years of human existence.
You *do* acclimate over time.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles