Source of new generator armatures

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Source of new generator armatures

Post by SlowLane » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 pm

I was browsing around the interwebs looking for parts to rebuild my alternator when I stumbled across this: http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?_ ... ct_id=8053

If the vendor is to be believed, it's a brand new armature for 12V VW generators. Thought I'd pass it along to the group.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Source of new generator armatures

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:40 pm

Compare that (quite likely Chinese) TRANSPO-brand armature for the GR15 30A generator with the brand new genuine Bosch GR15N that
can be had from Amazon.com for $122 and some pennies. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GR15N-01013 ... B000BZLHCO

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:32 am

kreemoweet wrote:Compare that (quite likely Chinese) TRANSPO-brand armature for the GR15 30A generator with the brand new genuine Bosch GR15N that
can be had from Amazon.com for $122 and some pennies. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GR15N-01013 ... B000BZLHCO
I need a 38 amp armature. My commutator and I look at each other warily each day as it gets worn down under a steady diet of 6,000 rpm operation.

I'd buy the 30 amp just to scarf end plates and bearings . . . :blackeye:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:35 am

Or, if you're okay with people who spell "custom" with a "k", you could get one of these rebuilt-in-the-USA GR17 38A offerings:
https://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Produc ... GENERATORS

I'll reiterate, though, that no one country has a monopoly on inferior parts or workmanship.

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:21 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1418273

Joanna has LOTS of NOS parts in a warehouse in the Philippines. She's pretty quick to reply to emails as well. I don't know if she'd have the 38amp armatures though.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 am

wcfvw69 wrote:http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1418273

Joanna has LOTS of NOS parts in a warehouse in the Philippines. She's pretty quick to reply to emails as well. I don't know if she'd have the 38amp armatures though.
Inquiry sent.

I do not trust Kustom Whorehouse. Their grammar is atrocious, their ad copy is suspect.
KolinYaWantKustom?IgotsKustom
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:42 am

kreemoweet wrote:Compare that (quite likely Chinese) TRANSPO-brand armature for the GR15 30A generator with the brand new genuine Bosch GR15N that
Hmm. What makes you believe that the genuine Bosch generator is any less likely to be of Chinese manufacture?

- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't know about Bosch lately. It does appear that they (like most companies) make their parts where ever the globes cheapest labor pool is.

I bought a brand new, Bosch Generator for my bug about 3 years ago. I finally installed it on my bus. The darn generator light would come on/off on a regular basis. I kept pushing the brushes in, thinking they where just new and sticky in their guides. I finally got frustrated. I pulled the bushes and their springs off. I had an old, core Bosch Generator from the 70's in my spares. I was trying to figure out what the difference was in the brushes/springs. When I compared the brush springs to each other, it was shocking how much better the old spring quality was vs. the brand new one I took off the brand new generator. The new spring was thinner metal and simply flimsy compared to the old, original one.

The old, core generator had brushes in it still that had 80% remaining. I took the brushes and springs off the old generator and installed them on the 'new' generator while it was still mounted in the bus. That was a treat. The used springs and brushes cured the problem. It's worth noting that the quality of the brush holders on the new Generator was also poor compared to the original.

I wouldn't buy any "new" Bosch part sold today for our VW's. People are having all kinds of problems with their points and the rubbing block coming off, even using their points grease. I know I'm continuing to keep having my old starters and generators rebuilt vs. buying new now as well. Buying that "new" generator reinforced the point.

Clearly, making these parts for our old VW's doesn't pay Bosch's bills. There simply isn't much volume in sales in these parts for these now very old cars. As such, they don't place much effort or care in the quality of them vs. the parts they make for new production automobiles. It's like their "A" team factories with the best quality make the new parts and the worst factory with the cheapest labor makes these VW parts.. I wonder if the parts Bosch still makes today that apply to our VW's even adds up to 1% of their annual sales of parts.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:20 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:When I compared the brush springs to each other, it was shocking how much better the old spring quality was vs. the brand new one I took off the brand new generator. The new spring was thinner metal and simply flimsy compared to the old, original one.
I've been finding such experiences all too common. Original warn-out parts are still better built than the new parts they are supposed to replace. And to think that back in the day we used to simply toss away "old" parts because, well, there was an endless supply of VWs. Makes ya wanna cry. OTOH, just how much of a hoarder can you afford to be?
wcfvw69 wrote: I wonder if the parts Bosch still makes today that apply to our VW's even adds up to 1% of their annual sales of parts.
Try maybe 0.0001%. :blackeye:

What led me on this little path of inquiry was the fact that the genuine Bosch reman alternator that I installed on my van just three months ago has apparently blown one or more rectifier diodes. Fortunately, I didn't have to submit a core when I purchased this POS, so I'm looking at rebuilding the (also reman) alternator which has served me faithfully for the last 16 years.
Amskeptic wrote:I do not trust Kustom Whorehouse. Their grammar is atrocious, their ad copy is suspect.
KolinYaWantKustom?IgotsKustom
Aww, kome on Kolin, kan't yew tace a joce?

- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm

SlowLane wrote: I've been finding such experiences all too common. Original warn-out parts are still better built than the new parts they are supposed to replace. And to think that back in the day we used to simply toss away "old" parts because, well, there was an endless supply of VWs. Makes ya wanna cry. OTOH, just how much of a hoarder can you afford to be?
I think we should all be grateful for the VW hoarders out there. I've learned to not throw out any old parts that can be refurbished or rebuilt. Us VW folks who've been around these cars for decades realize and understand what parts to buy new and what to look for NOS or used. So many newbies to the VW world see shiny catalogs with pretty new parts and don't realize how dreadfully poor the quality, fit and durability of the part truly is. There was a guy on the Samba today wanting to buy new heater boxes and asking what was the best ones? I was happy to see so many people reply to search for good used ones vs. the craptastic ones sold today. I bet he still buys the new one so he doesn't have to clean up, sand and repaint the used one.