My wiring does not follow Bentley

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

My wiring does not follow Bentley

Post by Psucamper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm

My 79 P22 camper has wiring that is different from the Bentley circuit diagrams.
I am the only owner since new so there is no PO to blame. Diagram shows a sliding door switch that turned on lights. There is none. This has invalidated a lot of wire color coding forcing me to redesign the internal circuits.

The drivers side door switch had the internals to make the buzzer buzz. Don't want it so I went to a single function (open when door closed) switch. Here's the problem. To do a continuity test on my rewiring I need to get into the terminals on the mid-car light that's over the sink and jumper some wires. Don't know how to get the plastic cover off or even remove the entire assembly. Has anybody removed this light cover/assembly? Would appreciate some instructions. Thanks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: My wiring does not follow Bentley

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 am

Psucamper wrote:My 79 P22 camper has wiring that is different from the Bentley circuit diagrams.
I am the only owner since new so there is no PO to blame. Diagram shows a sliding door switch that turned on lights. There is none. This has invalidated a lot of wire color coding forcing me to redesign the internal circuits.

The drivers side door switch had the internals to make the buzzer buzz. Don't want it so I went to a single function (open when door closed) switch. Here's the problem. To do a continuity test on my rewiring I need to get into the terminals on the mid-car light that's over the sink and jumper some wires. Don't know how to get the plastic cover off or even remove the entire assembly. Has anybody removed this light cover/assembly? Would appreciate some instructions. Thanks.
Do you have a passenger door switch?
My '78 "deluxe" does not, some kind of painfully cheap omission. Feel free to go back into the prior years to see the layout of the interior lighting circuits. Since they are grounding circuits, be cognizant that all wires *to* the lamps are hot (#30).

I do not know how to get the plastic lenses off the side interior lamps, but I think they are squeeze and pull. Under ther lens should be the mounting screws.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 am

Colin. Like you, my passenger side A pillar does not and never had a switch. A proper opening...yes, but no switch. I am ditching the buzzer (hate it) and re-jiggering the whole internal lighting wiring. The drivers side A pillar switch will now turn on both the side lamp and the dome light. Just need to get that damned
cover off to get into the original wiring. Don't want to bust anything in the process.
Just for safety I fused the new circuitry......using #30 unfused makes me nervous .

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:15 am

Psucamper wrote:Colin. Like you, my passenger side A pillar does not and never had a switch. A proper opening...yes, but no switch. I am ditching the buzzer (hate it) and re-jiggering the whole internal lighting wiring. The drivers side A pillar switch will now turn on both the side lamp and the dome light. Just need to get that damned
cover off to get into the original wiring. Don't want to bust anything in the process.
Just for safety I fused the new circuitry......using #30 unfused makes me nervous .
Factory is fused. The #30 interior lamp circuit emanates from downstream Fuse #8 I believe . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 am

Colin. Thanks for the update regarding the interior lights fusing. I did finally get access to some of the hidden wiring for the mid-car lamp assembly. My clever plan to have all interior lights come on at either door opening was dashed when I found that the grounds for that mid-car lamp are hard wired to the chassis so I cannot break that path through a switch...darn! Executed plan B and now the dome light will activate on door opening. Thinking of paralleling it for the passenger side too. BTW, I ordered 300 more F type push on connectors (various gauge) so when you come they're available.