Deja vu all over again
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: Over Voltage

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 pm

The alternators job is make voltage. The voltage regulators job is harness this bull. I vote for a NEW voltage regulator, not some used part.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 am

Agreed Rick. Been chasing my tail too long here. A new VR will eliminate one possibility.

Of course, Dingo's dejavu is not making me feel very confident. On the bright side, I have a visit from Colin in the near future. Maybe he can help me if I haven't sorted things out by then.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Update!
I ordered a new voltage regulator while I was at work today. Then it occurred to me, that the voltage regulator that was in the bus when I cleaned up the grounds was not the "known good" one that I scavenged from the '79 deluxe.

When I got home, I swapped in the "known good" regulator and I appear to be charging normally again. I drove the bus about 10 miles (the other one failed within a mile or two) while monitoring the voltage and it never got over 14v.

So, I have a new regulator coming, to replace the one that is now "known bad". I'll keep my eyes open, but am crossing my fingers.
DJ

drober23
Addicted!

Re: Over Voltage: Solved

Post by drober23 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Putting some closure on this thread.

The bad ground cable on the battery appears to have been the main culprit. Once I had a good voltage regulator back in, and a new negative cable to the battery everything has been fine with the charging.

Just finished driving 5,000 miles in 17 days with no charging related issues. Alternator was up to charging the starting battery and a camping battery.
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Over Voltage: Solved

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:51 am

drober23 wrote:Putting some closure on this thread.

The bad ground cable on the battery appears to have been the main culprit. Once I had a good voltage regulator back in, and a new negative cable to the battery everything has been fine with the charging.

Just finished driving 5,000 miles in 17 days with no charging related issues. Alternator was up to charging the starting battery and a camping battery.
Did the bad ground cable have surface indications of being bad?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 am

No. It was a replacement "braided strap" variety cable, and it looked fine. When I removed it, the braid pulled almost completely out of the connector for the battery post.
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 am

drober23 wrote:No. It was a replacement "braided strap" variety cable, and it looked fine. When I removed it, the braid pulled almost completely out of the connector for the battery post.
Replacement braided strap. Replacement aka "new". Is there a place for us to do pre-emptive soldering between the braid and the terminal?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles