Doesn't Start, Just Clacks

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Doesn't Start, Just Clacks

Post by whc03grady » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:That poor poor starter, you know it is the starter, that poor shrieking starter, let it rest in peace.
I know it's the starter. I want to buy a new starter. I have a bushing that's JB welded to the bellhousing, so do I (a) buy a new/rebuilt starter for a manual transx bus and hope the bushing isn't off-center (which if so I understand will shorten the starter's life); or (b) buy a new/rebuilt starter for an auto transx bus, which doesn't require the bushing?

If (b), do I need to know anything about which bellhousing or flywheel I have? Is any modification to either the starter or bellhousing or anything else necessary to fit the autotransx starter in a manual bus?
Amskeptic wrote:Did we bypass the hotstart relay while we enhanced the electrical paths under there?
We did not. Unless you did it when I wasn't looking.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:That poor poor starter, you know it is the starter, that poor shrieking starter, let it rest in peace.
I know it's the starter. I want to buy a new starter. I have a bushing that's JB welded to the bellhousing, so do I (a) buy a new/rebuilt starter for a manual transx bus and hope the bushing isn't off-center (which if so I understand will shorten the starter's life); or (b) buy a new/rebuilt starter for an auto transx bus, which doesn't require the bushing?
I believe a new manual trans starter will work just fine.
How's Gertie running? Doing daily driver for Melissa?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
whc03grady wrote:
I believe a new manual trans starter will work just fine.
How's Gertie running? Doing daily driver for Melissa?
Colin
Manual transx starter it is.

Gertie is running pretty well, as a DD for us both. I drove her on a 220 mile trip in ~90F heat, over a couple decent passes and she did fine. There is occasional stumbling, more like brief hiccuping, at transitions sometimes. Like when you get off the pedal or into it--more often and pronounced when getting off of it. But that's an issue for another section of the forum....
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:28 pm

For closure's sake:

I called my FLAPS about getting a new or rebuilt starter. They quoted a Bosch rebuild for $199, plus shipping, and a Rayloc (Napa's house brand, apparently) for $99, no shipping. Since this is 2012 and not 1992 I assumed that Bosch is just as much crap as anything else, and ordered the Rayloc. When I went to get it the next day, to my surprise it was a rebuilt Bosch for $99, with a two-year "it doesn't start, we'll send a jump" warranty. Okay.

I put it in that day, hopped in, and turned the key. Clank. %+#€^¥£*#. Took some deep breaths, snugged up the battery negative, transx strap, and the nut on the starter (where everything connects), and tried again.

Chicka-chicka-vrooOOMm!

It's started every time since (knock on wood), even after getting plenty warm.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 am

whc03grady wrote: They quoted a Bosch rebuild for $199,
a Rayloc (Napa's house brand, apparently) for $99,

Since this is 2012 and not 1992 I assumed that Bosch is just as much crap as anything else, and ordered the Rayloc. When I went to get it the next day, to my surprise it was a rebuilt Bosch for $99, with a two-year "it doesn't start, we'll send a jump" warranty. Okay.
Hahaa, good for you, Areskeptic . . . :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:58 am

Re: Squareback issue: I had a loose throttle position switch, like you, and like you, Colin helped me take it apart. Still unable to adjust properly, so I found a good used. After a couple adjustment tries, the stumble/transition issues went completely away. Something cheap to try.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat