Keep yer wick oily

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Keep yer wick oily

Post by SlowLane » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:28 pm

I don't know how many times I'm going to need to re-learn this lesson before it sinks in...

The Westy's been running progressively rougher over the last week. Idle was fine, full throttle was fine, but on light throttle acceleration it was stumbling and farting. I was worried that the new Bus Depot ignition wires were starting to crap out, or the new, colder spark plugs were fouling, or that the persistent vacuum hiss that I just can't seem to eradicate was finally becoming a problem.

So I pull the plugs: they're all fine. Wires are routed okay. The hiss isn't any louder than it has ever been. Pop the distributor cap off: hmm, a bit more arc-damage on the internal posts, but I can't remember how old the cap and rotor are. Mental note to replace both. Turn the dizzy shaft by hand. Mech advance seems okay. Hmm, can't remember last time I oiled the felt "wick" in the distributor shaft. Give it a couple of drops from the dipstick.

Button it all up, go for a drive. Hesitation is gone! Had to be the advance sticking, once again underscoring the importance of smooth, consistent ignition to these engines. I'm now considering getting the Philbin guys to rebuild my distributor. Don't want to have to re-learn this lesson too many more times.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Keep yer wick oily

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm

SlowLane wrote:I don't know how many times I'm going to need to re-learn this lesson before it sinks in...

I'm now considering getting the Philbin guys to rebuild my distributor. Don't want to have to re-learn this lesson too many more times.
If it is no longer hesitating, why send it out? Keep it wicked and clean and gapped and drive drive drive.

That's my lesson.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 pm

i ended up loosing my felt during the process of putting my motor back in, any good replacements?
or will regular 'ol "ac moore" felt work?

Thanks.
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Oh no, it must be official VW felt from der Fatherland, imported at great expense.

Kidding. I expect that anything of a similar nature would do the trick. as long as it retains a few drops of oil and doesn't shed fibers. eg. I have some furniture sliders from Lowes that look like they'd fit the bill.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 am

perfect..i have some of those too. thanks!
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:21 pm

so why are those important? my friends ca spec does not have any lint
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 pm

luftvagon wrote:so why are those important? my friends ca spec does not have any lint
What "those" are you asking about? "my friend's does not have any lint"??
We are in a technical forum where we ought to write for the reader on a search.
The felt retains the oil that we have to apply to centrifugal advance distributors so that the upper shaft (breaker cam) can rotate in relation to the lower shaft (drive dogs).
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles