quick flashers, but no burnt out bulbs.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

quick flashers, but no burnt out bulbs.

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

I have had this issue on and off for a little while now. My turn signals will flash quickly on one side, though all of the bulbs are illuminated.

Colin and I swapped some of the bulbs from left to right and ended up making the issue go away, but it started to randomly come back again a week ago.

Sometimes it would do it only when my parking lamps were also on, other times it would only do it if I was also depressing hard on the brakes.

I finally went to Napa and got all new bulbs of the same brand and replaced them all. I hate just throwing a bunch of new parts at it, but all my bulbs were of unknown brand and age and in various conditions.

After replacing all the large bulbs (not the side marker lights or the little bulbs in my turn signal housings) - they now flash at a normal pace ALL the time.

After pulling the side marker lenses to clean them up and put a little reflective backing behind them, both the lenses themselves and the housings just crumbled in my hands with light scrubbing when cleaning. The lenses snapped in half on one side and right where the screws inter the housings on the other (that funky blue stuff on one of the lenses was load bearing Colin!)

I have new side marker hardware on order now, which gives me some time to clean up the mess of foam/rubber/rust that was hiding behind them.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: quick flashers, but no burnt out bulbs.

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 am

airkooledchris wrote:they now flash at a normal pace ALL the time.
So this is a Public Service Announcement?

"Folks, control your amperage with matched bulbs, your flasher relay will thank you."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: quick flashers, but no burnt out bulbs.

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:58 am

yea, I didn't bother to post when it was a problem, but now that it's fixed I figured it was a good word to get out and into the search engine crawlers for some other poor sap down the road.

I cleaned up the connections on the housings and bulbs before I did this as well. What I had not factored in was that most of these bulbs were mismatched from over a whoknowshowlong period of time.
1979 California Transporter