PE Brand CV Boots?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

type2sam
I'm New!

PE Brand CV Boots?

Post by type2sam » Mon May 17, 2010 4:42 am

All,

During Colin's recent visit, we found the right outboard CV boot on my father's Vanagon to be torn at the inner clamp.

I explored my parts stash over the weekend and found a set of 4 PE Brand CV Boot kits (boot + triple square bolts + circlip + suitable grease + clamp + dished washer) hidden away.

I purchased these from RMMW back probably 10 years ago and they have been sitting in my basement since then.

Given the recent discussions relating to cheap boots and experiences with even the vaunted Lobro's ripping in short order, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand.

I'll likely use them for the Vanagon as I have them on hand and according to the Bus Depot website, they are the same part.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: PE Brand CV Boots?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 17, 2010 5:36 am

type2sam wrote:All,

During Colin's recent visit, we found the right outboard CV boot on my father's Vanagon to be torn at the inner clamp.

I explored my parts stash over the weekend and found a set of 4 PE Brand CV Boot kits (boot + triple square bolts + circlip + suitable grease + clamp + dished washer) hidden away.

I purchased these from RMMW back probably 10 years ago and they have been sitting in my basement since then.

Given the recent discussions relating to cheap boots and experiences with even the vaunted Lobro's ripping in short order, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand.

I'll likely use them for the Vanagon as I have them on hand and according to the Bus Depot website, they are the same part.
Try em. If they let go, you will have an opportunity to clean and repack the CV joints yet again, which is not a bad thing. Do let us know how they last. I have been spraying silicone on my remaining boots to put a barrier between the suspect rubber and the ozoninous air.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles