1st timer rear wheel grease pack

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

1st timer rear wheel grease pack

Post by skin daddio » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 pm

i am rebuilding another earlybay rear wheel cylinder. this time i'd also like to repack the bearing. it seems the play is good, and no odd noises appear while spinning the axle shaft with or without the brake drum. following bentley chapter 6, they show a lot with presses and drifts, and i wonder being short a puller could i knock the shaft through with a wood block, pull the circlips and seals, repack, replace the seals, and be on my way, without removing the bearing housing from the rest of the suspension.

if able to snag a puller, do i still need to remove the bearing house from the truck to repack only?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1st timer rear wheel grease pack

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 am

skin daddio wrote:i am rebuilding another earlybay rear wheel cylinder. this time i'd also like to repack the bearing. it seems the play is good, and no odd noises appear while spinning the axle shaft with or without the brake drum. following bentley chapter 6, they show a lot with presses and drifts, and i wonder being short a puller could i knock the shaft through with a wood block, pull the circlips and seals, repack, replace the seals, and be on my way, without removing the bearing housing from the rest of the suspension.

if able to snag a puller, do i still need to remove the bearing house from the truck to repack only?
The outer roller bearing race is the delicate one. You can disassemble everything else and clean, repack, reassemble, but do not remove the outer bearing's outer race.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles