Torque converter woes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

calivw78
Getting Hooked!

Torque converter woes

Post by calivw78 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Can I just vent?!? After finally getting the engine back in Vandejo, I've got play in the torque converter. There's more info (with a movie showing the play/slop) at http://calivw78.com/2008/09/27/problems ... -converter.

I can't believe I didn't check the bolts against the torque converter before putting the engine back in. I'm open to any other thoughts on the issue, if you think it's not the bolt size.

Thanks for listening *sigh*
Peace, Troy
www.calivw78.com
-----------------
'74 Deluxe Westy (Vandejo)
'78 Transporter (Buster)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Torque converter woes

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:52 am

calivw78 wrote:Can I just vent?!? After finally getting the engine back in Vandejo, I've got play in the torque converter. There's more info (with a movie showing the play/slop) at http://calivw78.com/2008/09/27/problems ... -converter.

I can't believe I didn't check the bolts against the torque converter before putting the engine back in. I'm open to any other thoughts on the issue, if you think it's not the bolt size.

Thanks for listening *sigh*
If a bolt won't tighten, then it is either the threads on the bolt, or the threads on the nut. Are the captive nuts on the torque converter stripped?
This would not surprise me. People can't believe that three little bolts transfer "all of that torque" (which is less than your foot standing on a bicycle pedal, by the way).

You can tap the nuts out a size and stick in larger bolts if there is room for them. Make sure that you fix everything identically, for balance reasons.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles