Gear oil coming out of CV joints?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

williebus
I'm New!

Gear oil coming out of CV joints?

Post by williebus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:10 pm

My '69 bay has a new trans and cv joints that have 2000 miles. Inner left CV looked like it was slinging some oil ...maybe 90 wt. Axle flange seals are not leaking.

So... figured it was the drive flange "cap seal" that had popped loose letting 90wt into the CV. Took the axle off, and the cap seal looks perfect, no 90 wt hanging around in there and none mixed in with the grease.

Any ideas? My theory is that the CV grease gets hot after an hour of freeway speed and some of the grease breaks down into fluid that seeps out of the CV joint.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 am

Hmm, just to check did you re torque the CV bolts a few (100 or so) miles after installation? Was the fluid runny? You could smell it and that would tell you waht flavor it is, moly and gear oil both stink like hell but the hell they reek has a different aroma.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Gear oil coming out of CV joints?

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 am

williebus wrote:My '69 bay has a new trans and cv joints that have 2000 miles. Inner left CV looked like it was slinging some oil ...maybe 90 wt. Axle flange seals are not leaking.

So... figured it was the drive flange "cap seal" that had popped loose letting 90wt into the CV. Took the axle off, and the cap seal looks perfect, no 90 wt hanging around in there and none mixed in with the grease.

Any ideas? My theory is that the CV grease gets hot after an hour of freeway speed and some of the grease breaks down into fluid that seeps out of the CV joint.
The recommended moly grease does liquify at high temps, but it sounds like the viscosity of your CV grease is unusually low. This usually happens when different brands of grease are inadvertantly mixed. Many people think that the warnings to clean out all traces of old grease are just for "best practices" cleanliness, but in fact, this step is critical to prevent "soaping" of grease when mixed with other types. You can spot this soaping by looking at the quantity of liquified grease when the CV is at room temp. If it is liquid, clean and repack. Clean every bolt hole and the boot's every pleat, thoroughly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

williebus
I'm New!

Post by williebus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:50 pm

I think we're on to something. There were 2 different greases in there that some guy (who me?) put in the CV.

Thanks.