Gear Oil Change and flush?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Gear Oil Change and flush?

Post by tractoman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:14 am

Some spring maintenance to be done. I am going to replace the gear oil in the trans, and I am curious if I can rinse or flush with anything before the new oil goes back in. This has not been done in about 15 years so I would like it as clean as possible so I'll get another 15 years out of it. Yes, GL-4.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:33 am

I've always seen fresh trans oil used as a flush.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 am

hambone wrote:I've always seen fresh trans oil used as a flush.
I'll second that. Plus your plugs are magnetic so they usually capture a good amount of grindage over time.

Mine was nasty nasty nasty so I just squezzed a half bottle of fluid with the plug in to let it pick up whatever gunk was left.....really not too much was left but the fluid was slightly 'green'.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:21 am

Just a suggestion. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain it.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Gear Oil Change and flush?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:44 pm

tractoman wrote:Some spring maintenance to be done. I am going to replace the gear oil in the trans, and I am curious if I can rinse or flush with anything before the new oil goes back in. This has not been done in about 15 years so I would like it as clean as possible so I'll get another 15 years out of it. Yes, GL-4.
You best not try in any way to "flush." Let the sleeping dog lay. Drain old oil when transaxle is thoroughly warm and replace every 30,000 miles. That's it. If you have had a major transmission failure, you just need to rely on the rebuilder to properly clean the internals of any metal particles. Otherwise, you have a self-limiting closed loop here. It goes like this: if you have enough junk in the transaxle that you need to flush, it is guaranteed to also need a rebuild.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:47 am

In order to keep this under an existing topic heading, is 7 foot-pounds the correct torque value for the transmission drain and fill plugs? Seems a little low...
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:22 am

I need to change the trans fluid also, do I need to get some sort of pump? The plugs on top iirc.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 am

chitwnvw wrote:do I need to get some sort of pump? The plugs on top iirc.
Yes, you can get a ~$5 plastic Sta-Lube pump at NAPA that will screw onto the gallon GL4 oil jug. The hose is a little short, so you'll still be pumping under the bus, but it beats trying to pour! The fill plug is on the drivers side and the drain plug is on the rear near the bell housing. Get the fill plug off first so you know you can refill it. Disclaimer, this is for a 78 trans, yours might differ.

My oil was nasty, nasty but there was minimal "beard" on the magnetic plug and no chunks of transmission. :cheers:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:35 am

Ritter wrote:In order to keep this under an existing topic heading, is 7 foot-pounds the correct torque value for the transmission drain and fill plugs? Seems a little low...
Seems a little low to YOU. Pal. They are actually tapered threads and I so very promise you that you do NOT want to lean on them. 7 ft/lbs with clean threads, a hand over the center of the ratchet with a good huotaink should be fine. You can always snug it up a tad later, you have bigger problems when you crack the magnesium case.

Chitwnvw, the quart bottles you can stuff up there and into the fill opening and squeeze dry. You need to remove the heater accordian. Or you can get a little pump that screws on to your bottle of transmission fluid. Magnet-equipped plug on the bottom please. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:01 pm

tractoman wrote:Yes, GL-4.
O.k. I know this. Everything I've read says GL-4, GL-4, GL-4. I'm at NAPA today to buy some and all they had was GL-5, and this other stuff that said "formulated for API applications GL-3, GL-4 & GL-5". Is this multi-GL o.k. or should I seek out real GL-4? Of course the guy behind the counter told me I should use the "upgraded" GL-5. I politely declined and decided to come here for the real answer. O.k. Go!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:27 pm

dtrumbo wrote:
tractoman wrote:Yes, GL-4.
O.k. I know this. Everything I've read says GL-4, GL-4, GL-4. I'm at NAPA today to buy some and all they had was GL-5, and this other stuff that said "formulated for API applications GL-3, GL-4 & GL-5". Is this multi-GL o.k. or should I seek out real GL-4? Of course the guy behind the counter told me I should use the "upgraded" GL-5. I politely declined and decided to come here for the real answer. O.k. Go!
Just for kicks, search for GL5 posts by Karl over on TS. I think he makes his case for GL-4 only pretty well.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:14 am

GL=4 Is readily available at NAPA. If they don't have it in the morning they will usually have by afternoon or next morning. I'm gonna make a guess here, I'll bet it's a commonly used gearlube for older work trucks. NAPA is more of a working mans parts store, for work trucks up to big trucks. Not much bling to be found at NAPA, plus the guys at NAPA seem to be real part guys, not cashiers.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:23 am

You're right. I called them back last night right before they closed and they told me they'll have two gallons of GL-4 waiting for me there when they open this morning. :flower:
- Dick

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 am

On about 70th and Aurora near Greenlake in Seattle is Action Auto Parts. They have GL4 on the shelf for 20.00/gal. More than NAPA, but it is usually in stock.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:48 am

bus71 wrote:On about 70th and Aurora near Greenlake in Seattle is Action Auto Parts. They have GL4 on the shelf for 20.00/gal. More than NAPA, but it is usually in stock.
Good to know, thanks!
- Dick