Cracked Bellhousing?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Cracked Bellhousing?

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello all, been a while.
My transmission has been leaking since it was rebuilt and installed about 2 years ago.
It is an 091 Transmission mated to a 3 Rib bell housing all bolted to a 2 Liter.
I replaced the input shaft seal on my last go round, but that did not seem to even slow the leak down. Was wondering if a cracked bell housing would cause this?? Is there somewhere else (in the bell housing area) that could be leaking?
The transmission re builder unfortunately passed away shortly after he finished up my trans.

Any ideas? Tired of replacing my gear oil soaked clutch and my wife is getting tired of the trails in the driveway.
Thanks for any help.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

bus71
Addicted!

Re: Cracked Bellhousing?

Post by bus71 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Is it possible that oil is leaking past the studs/ nuts that attach the Bell housing to trans? Maybe remove 1 at a time and put some sealer on threads/washer and tighten to spec? Just an idea, the only other thing I can think of would be incorrect input shaft( too short) but this would cause pilot bearing trouble also.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm

never figured to even check which input shaft it has. Would it need the long one or short one? Remember this is a 091 transmission with a 002 bellhousing. Thanks for the ideas.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 pm

there is an oil slinger inside an 091 bellhousing, and I believe there is also one in an 002. If they come loose that can cause issues. I believe when the come loose they cannot be restaked. Maybe Colin would know. Why you would use an 002 bellhousing on an 091 and 2L T4 I don't quite understand. I would think the benefit of the larger flywheel would be desired because of the additional torque the 2L puts out.

TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 am

sgkent wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 pm
Why you would use an 002 bellhousing on an 091 and 2L T4 I don't quite understand. I would think the benefit of the larger flywheel would be desired because of the additional torque the 2L puts out.

I am confused here too. The 2.0 really wants the 228mm flwheel/clutch/pressure plate which needs the larger 091 bell housing and starter.

As you go back in to eradicate this leak, make the switch while parts are available.
Colin
(replace all necessary gaskets/seals)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Still available (as of 10:14 pm PDT) from the Weddle folks: https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000287/1000908

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 pm

When I purchased the transmission it already had the bell housing on it. I didn't consider changing it at the time because my clutch and starter were both new.
I actually seen this ad and contacted Weddle Industries... but I contacted them regarding the 002 transmission and was told They do not have any in stock and do not plan to for an undetermined amount of time.
I guess these are drying up pretty fast and usually needed when found.

So I guess my plan of action is to start collecting stuff for the 091 Bell housing Upgrade. First purchase is the housing from Weddle before they dry up too.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 am

bajaman72 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 pm
When I purchased the transmission it already had the bell housing on it. I didn't consider changing it at the time because my clutch and starter were both new.
I actually seen this ad and contacted Weddle Industries... but I contacted them regarding the 002 transmission and was told They do not have any in stock and do not plan to for an undetermined amount of time.
I guess these are drying up pretty fast and usually needed when found.

So I guess my plan of action is to start collecting stuff for the 091 Bell housing Upgrade. First purchase is the housing from Weddle before they dry up too.
Yikes. And here I am driving my 002 to death here in the mountains.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles