091 vanagon transmission no reverse

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

091 vanagon transmission no reverse

Post by reluctantartist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 pm

I just installed a rebuilt transmission in hopes of using the westy on my current trip which unfortunately did not turn out to be the case. After I installed it...(I have removed an installed the transmission several times before) i can not get it into reverse. Now I have replaced all of the bushings on the shift rod ( I actually had NOS of all of the parts to do this..maybe the last one in the country that could) so I do not think that is the issue and it was adjusted to the proper distance of something like 21mm. So my plan of attack when I get back is to remove the shift rod and shift lever to make sure the boot is not causing issues like limiting movement. And then replace the shift lever on on the tranny (by shift lever i mean the part that has the two nylon balls on it) and then try to shift into reverse by hand. Does any one else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
82 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 091 vanagon transmission no reverse

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:10 am

reluctantartist wrote:I just installed a rebuilt transmission in hopes of usi g the westy on my current trip which unfortunately did not turn out to be the case. After I installed it...(I have removed an installed the transmission several times before) i can not get it into reverse. Now I have replaced all of the bushings on the shift rod ( I actually had NOS of all of the parts to do this..maybe the last one in the country that could) so I do not think that is the issue and it was adjusted to the proper distance of something like 21mm. So my plan of attack when I get back is to remove the shift rod and shift lever to make sure the boot is not causing issues like limiting movement. And then replace the shift lever on on the tranny (by shift lever i mean the part that has the two nylon balls on it) and then try to shift into reverse by hand. Does any one else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Vanagons are far more idiot-proof than bays in the shift linkage department.

Get a friend, or a spouse or a kid. Show them 4th gear. Tell them to stay away from the ignition key. Go under the car. Tell them to engage 4th gear. You want to then do the exact opposite. If 4th gear pulled the shifter out from the transaxle, you want to manually push it in. If 4th gear rotated the shifter clockwise as it pulled out, you want to rotate it counter clockwise. Let them help you and see if you can engage reverse.
Now experiment with the engine to see if makes the car go backwards a little. If yes, you can fix this thing.

Engine off. Go to neutral. Ask assistant to try to engage reverse. Watch to see where their movement at the gear shift is insufficient at the transmission. Work your way towards the front of the car.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm

That sounds like the best approach I have been advised so far. Hopefully I can take a stab at it when I get back at the beginning of next week. Having two kids (one autistic) crammed in the back of a regular car going from Indiana to Florida is not fun. I really miss the westy. I will keep you posted.
82 Westy

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Mon May 04, 2015 8:03 am

well i got it worked out. I was trying to use a later model dust boot on the transmission which turned out to be too thick. I ended up having to craft one together. The 091 has a narrower boot than the 091/1 in the later trannys. It now shifts into reverse. But now the issue is it will pop out of first when I let of the gas or let it coast in first. Is this an adjusment issue or do I need to call the builder....please please tell me it is an adjustment issue..

Thanks for all the help so far.
82 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 04, 2015 5:21 pm

reluctantartist wrote:well i got it worked out. I was trying to use a later model dust boot on the transmission which turned out to be too thick. I ended up having to craft one together. The 091 has a narrower boot than the 091/1 in the later trannys. It now shifts into reverse. But now the issue is it will pop out of first when I let of the gas or let it coast in first. Is this an adjusment issue or do I need to call the builder....please please tell me it is an adjustment issue..

Thanks for all the help so far.
It is likely to be an internal issue. To help you narrow it down:
You can normally feel the resistance of the synchronizer/detent as you engage a gear. Try 2nd.
Now try 1st. Do you feel this resistance then have a little free movement **once it is in gear**?
Do you feel *less* wiggle/movement in 1st once it is in gear? You might be able to improve engagement depth by moving the fulcrum (where the shifter pivots) towards the rear of the car.
Most usually, however, it is a case of damaged teeth in the gear/slider that "spools" the slider out of engagement under load as in acceleration, or when you abruptly get off the gas.
Colin

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Tue May 05, 2015 8:54 am

So this sounds like I need to call the builder?...I really do not want to have to send it back. I just got the westy running. I was hoping there was an adjustment I could make.

Thanks
82 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 05, 2015 11:28 am

reluctantartist wrote:So this sounds like I need to call the builder?...I really do not want to have to send it back. I just got the westy running. I was hoping there was an adjustment I could make.

Thanks
So very yes right away. Get it on-record. Share his recommendations here. He too doesn't want you to send it back.
Colin