Rockford CV Boots

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

white74westy
I'm New!

Rockford CV Boots

Post by white74westy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:48 am

I was updating a thread Colin started, regarding his vist. He asked that I post my findings here, in the hopes of helping stave off potential frustrations, for future Rockford purchases. I hope it helps!

a.

Amskeptic wrote:
white74westy wrote: Just wanted to post a quick update on the CV boots from Rockford. I called them the other day to report my findings, specific to the incorrect dimensions. I calmly explained my situation to the young lady on the other end of the phone, that the boots were too short; that in fact, they looked as if they were missing a pleat. I think it may have been the same young lady, that sold me the boots, the first time around. Surprisingly, I was met with [an uncommon] willingness to listen and help! I am pleased to report that Rockford is sending out the correct boots (part #339-22). Here is what I wrote down in my notes:

Old Boot (This is NOT the one you want!!!)
Part # 814-21
Length 3.887"
Diameter 0.954"

New Boot (This IS the correct boot)
Part# 339-22
Length 4.390"
Diameter 0.960"

The last measurement was the diameter of the [small rubber end] that covers the axle shaft.

I hope this helps others in the future, to avoid any confusion. I also wanted to make sure that I gave Rockford credit for at least trying to make things right. Often times it seems in the ACVW world, we're met with a casual indifference, when we attempt to enlighten vendors about the inferior quality, poor craftsmanship, lack of concern coming from sales staff, etc. In this case, I believe it was an honest oversight. I'm going to give Rockford boots another try, as I've read some very srtong, positive, opinions of them, from people that have a great deal more experience with these things than I do. Will keep you posted!

a.
Thank you. Your diligence may save many future CV repackers grief.
Could you repost this this post to Transaxle/CV/RearAxle Forum? Then, if the quality is actually any good, we can place a note in the Parts Known To Be Acceptable forum/
Colin