'78 shift rod assembly

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

THall
Getting Hooked!

'78 shift rod assembly

Post by THall » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:06 pm

With my engine and tranny out I decided to check on the state of my shift rod bushings. Got it all taken out and the nylon bushings look to be in good shape. I do have some new ones, but is the consensus to reuse the better quality original parts if they're still good?
My other question is the round donut bushing near the end of the rear shift rod seen in the image below. Between the rear bellows and nylon bushing. I don't see that bushing on the Bentley diagram? I'm guessing it belongs there, but where does it seat? And, should it be split like that?

Thanks!

'78 Westy 2.0 FI

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: '78 shift rod assembly

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:08 pm

You got me. No such beast on my '70. As for re-using, you might be right. Mine were shot, so the new ones went on.

welcome to the IAC,
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:28 am

THall wrote:With my engine and tranny out I decided to check on the state of my shift rod bushings. Got it all taken out and the nylon bushings look to be in good shape. I do have some new ones, but is the consensus to reuse the better quality original parts if they're still good?
My other question is the round donut bushing near the end of the rear shift rod seen in the image below. Between the rear bellows and nylon bushing. I don't see that bushing on the Bentley diagram? I'm guessing it belongs there, but where does it seat? And, should it be split like that?

Thanks!

[/url]
I answered this on theSamba. What was your answer? Was that round bushing my goof-ball hack fix?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:With my engine and tranny out I decided to check on the state of my shift rod bushings. Got it all taken out and the nylon bushings look to be in good shape. I do have some new ones, but is the consensus to reuse the better quality original parts if they're still good?

Thanks!

[/url]
I answered this on theSamba. What was your answer? Was that round bushing my goof-ball hack fix?
Colin
No, we didn't touch any of this during your last visit....your only improv fix on that visit was dealing with making that return air flap on the fan shroud fit after a missing chunk was replaced with some JB weld :thumbleft:

So, I guess since the shift rod assembly didn't come with that round bushing originally, I will not re-install it?

My other question was where to concentrate the grease on the rod assembly when I get ready to put it back in?

Thanks!
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:55 pm

I recall only three bushings, two of the sorta conical ones, and one at the end near the stick shift. I greased heavy on the stick shift end, as it has to slide all they way through the tube.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:10 pm

THall wrote:where to concentrate the grease on the rod assembly when I get ready to put it back in?

Thanks!
Too much becomes a dirt magnet that turns into an abrasive paste. If you have new boots, both ends, then you can use more. I think silicone grease (think: garage door opener grease) would keep the plastic shuttle cocks happy. By the way, the original bushings seem to continually prove superior to the replacements. These bushings are relatively idiot-proof, I think some of our noisy shift rods are emanating from worn engines/transaxles/mounts/shifter housing bushings/ etc. Just make sure that the metal spring wire in is in the back bushing to help it maintain pressure on the walls of the shift tube.
Colin

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:where to concentrate the grease on the rod assembly when I get ready to put it back in?

Thanks!
Too much becomes a dirt magnet that turns into an abrasive paste. If you have new boots, both ends, then you can use more. I think silicone grease (think: garage door opener grease) would keep the plastic shuttle cocks happy. By the way, the original bushings seem to continually prove superior to the replacements. These bushings are relatively idiot-proof, I think some of our noisy shift rods are emanating from worn engines/transaxles/mounts/shifter housing bushings/ etc. Just make sure that the metal spring wire in is in the back bushing to help it maintain pressure on the walls of the shift tube.
Colin
So, now I'm re-installing the rear shift rod and the bushing toward the front of the bus is barely fitting back into the tube...only slides in there with force. This is the one with the spring wire in it. The two bushings toward the tranny side slid right in, but those don't have a spring wire in them. When I took it all apart the spring wire was just dangling free on the shaft.

Is it supposed to be this tight, or do I have something wrong here? Certainly seems that it needs to slide more freely. I'm sure the two nubs on the bushing are seated in the rod and the spring wire looks to be in the groove.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:54 pm

I don't recall it being exceedingly tight, no.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:36 am

THall wrote: Is it supposed to be this tight, or do I have something wrong here?
It is OK as long as there is grease. When all is installed and running, you will not even feel the resistance at the gearshift. That is your anti-rattle guarantee.
Colin

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote: Is it supposed to be this tight, or do I have something wrong here?
It is OK as long as there is grease. When all is installed and running, you will not even feel the resistance at the gearshift. That is your anti-rattle guarantee.
Colin
Yep, it's nicely greased up, so I'll roll with it. Thank you Colin....have safe travels.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI