Old School!

five rib bell housing differences...?

Post by chachi » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:48 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: five rib bell housing differences...?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 pm

chachi wrote:i have two of what i assumed were both "5 ribs." in the course of putting this engine in to my 74 i had cause to switch transmissions. attaching the engine and the replacement trans outside the bus, my first clue that something was up was that the top bolts were short by a half inch. i had bolts from yet a third "five rib" trans that i tried and they turned out to be the right length. i measured the two bell housings and sure enough the first one was short by a half inch. when we got everything hooked up and tried to start it the starter, which i had pulled from the first transmission (and original to this bus an early 74) was just spinning, obviously not engaging the flywheel.

what's going on? i did some reading and it seems like there is some one year only "five rib"; is this related?
5 ribs were pretty much just the 1975 model year with the 215mm clutch. The ribs were sharp edged, unlike the smooth 091 ribs. It sounds like someone has stuck an 091 bell housing on a 5 rib gearbox. The 091s had to swallow a 228mm clutch plate stuck on, instead of in, the flywheel. They had to make the bell housing longer as a result.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri May 04, 2012 5:20 pm

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Sat May 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Photos would help to see what you really have. If its a 091 it will be a 6 rib the 5 rib is a 002 and has the same bell housing as the 3 rib. as for the "carrier bolts" what bolts are you calling carrier bolts? and a 15mm bolt is HUGE I don't recall a bolt in the trany that big. also the 091 has quite a different gear ratio your engine may not like it is it stock? if you are talking about the bolts are the mounting bolts they are 10mm x 1.50mm threads I need to know where they are to tell you how long they are. not only are the top bell housing bolts too short for the 091 the lower studs are too short also.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Sat May 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Nuts and bolts 101: A bolt is sized by its threads it is a 10mm not 15mm that is the head size. as for the shifter the 2 nuts that hold the front mount to the trany are slotted you may be able to adjust the trany up to clear the coupler. There is one other thing the 091 trany is longer then the 002 it could be the problem with the shifter.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun May 06, 2012 6:17 am

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:45 am

I have an 091 in my wife's '70. It was there when we bought it so I don't know what all was done to make it happen. I can, however, be a pair of eyes if it helps. I snapped a couple of pictures this morning, hopefully they'll be helpful.

Please ignore the drop of oil on the grub screw. I've had the transmission recently rebuilt and that drop just stays there and doesn't fall off so we've decided to let each other peacefully co-exist.

It looks to me like this bracket is the key. As bigbore mentioned, the holes are elongated so you can position the nosecone up or down as needed.

Let me know if there's anything specific you need to see and I'll be happy to snap a picture.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Sun May 06, 2012 10:40 am

chachi wrote:cheers for setting for setting me straight on the bolt id. anyway, the 091 is definitely longer by a half inch, will it not work? the only way i can see to get it to clear that beam is to grind or bend back the bottom lip of that beam. surely someone else has tried to shoehorn a 091 into a '74.
No problem if you asked for a 15mm bolt at the store you would be surprised at what they would bring you. the 091 has been put in a earlier bay many times. The mount in the photos is a earlier one yours should be different yours will move up and down alittle just loosen the 2 nuts on the trany and push up and see what happens. I need a photo to help more I haven't seen the problem you describe. You will most likely have to readjust the shifter the trany being longer puts everything out of alinement I have heard of shift rods having to changed out to get it right but I haven't put a 091 in a earlier bay so I can't say for sure.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:49 am

''shoptalk forums'' has a transaxle forum, they have gurus that know the magic.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Duct tape. I've seen it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.