Another 101 transaxle thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Another Engine Build thread stock type 1 dp

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Oh wait, I think a light bulb has gone off in my challenged cranium. I need to pay attention that I match the correct throw out bearing to this? There are two that differ depending on application?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Oh wait, I think a light bulb has gone off in my challenged cranium. I need to pay attention that I match the correct throw out bearing to this? There are two that differ depending on application?

neal
Yes. The earlier 1950-1970 VWs had a different release bearing, and cross shaft and retainers.
In 1971, the diaphragm finger clutch came with a new cross shaft, release bearing, and clips.

If you have a 1971 transaxle with release bearing collar, it uses a diaphragm finger clutch without the ring on it. You should be able to get that ring off. Ask someone. Or sell me that damn pressure plate and flywheel BALANCED ASSEMBLY when I come through, I use that ring style pressure plate.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Looks my only option is to change pressure plates or rip that inner ring off of it. Sure enough, can't put the '70 cross shaft in the '71 case. '71 assembly is much stouter, even the arm that the clutch cable connects to is longer and beefier. How annoying. I could put this engine into the baja and start another, but I don't think Cheryle is going to let that fly.

Oi, proof of idiocy.
neal

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:20 pm

you have a KEP pp? there might be a spiralok spring in there. it works like a circlip. it wraps around more than once, in a groove, it holds that pad, the one the throwout bearing pushes against, in place. you find the end of it and with a couple flat screwdrivers, and you kinda wind it out, and the pad can be removed. then it'll work with the sleeve. i did one about 9 years ago. can't remember if it's inside or outside, tranny or flywheel side.
google it, i'm always on the wii now. fun for you tube on a hdtv, but can't post links or photos. no cut and paste, one window at a time, you can only go back 3,4 pages and most vendor sites just freak wii rtf out, too much info.

not vw but definitely car related. google video a-bombers and see what swedes do for fun with vintage hotrods, motorcycles, hotrods cruisers and ratrods.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Stock pressure plate. At a glance it would seem I would need to cut a retaining washer to free the inner ring from the assembly.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 pm

First off, let me just reiterate what I well know, the proper tool.... In this case, here's the device that finally allowed me to extract the input shaft seal from the transaxle case with relative ease. Finally.

Colin was in the know, the arm assemblies are of totally different design. Fatter one from the '71 transaxle is on top, and wouldn't you know it, my new throw-out bearing is for the older '70 arm. I'll be able to use the one from Bertha Bus's chipped transaxle, but could be quickly convinced to invest in a new one. $40 at Autosport in Hazel Dell. Are there manufacturer options, cheap ones out there but track down the better?

Arm is longer.

And connection forks are also different. The older style is on the bottom.

So then there's the matter of extracting the inner ring from the pressure plate. Don't think it has a spiralock. First the outside.

And the inside.

The inside looks like a dished washer that's been stamped down under a lip of the outer part of the inner ring assembly.

Like I might be needing to try to cut it.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Or maybe try to pull the lip back at the open spots and then spin the washer.

neal

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I use a sharpened screwdriver to pry these off.(eye protection) My 71 bus is running around right now with this setup.
A friend had one when we needed a clutch. works fine.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Should I stay away from a bugpack arm/refresh kit with the polyurethane bushing?

Apparently I have a newer replacement transmission than I thought. '73 or newer. Thus the larger diameter arm. 20 mm vs 16mm.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Got the side seals in today. Relatively easy, a bit pesky getting the clips back on. Got the seal seated on the input shaft, too. Not real thrilled with the BugPack hardware. Might re-use what I got. Not sure yet. Haven't tackled the PP inner ring extraction yet.

neal

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 am

Is that polyurethane bushing supposed to go in place of the stock brass bushing?

If so, that would be a totally inappropriate substitution. There's no way polyurethane will provide the support needed in that application.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Got the inner ring off of the Pressure Plate without mishap. Might wait and get a proper kit for the throw-out bearing cross member. Taking the BugPack back as I don't need the cross member anyway. Might just clean up what I have. Still on the fence there.

Anyone have great tips on seating a new bushing? I got a new bushing for the starter, but it's visibly larger, and measures a full half a mm larger than the old one and doesn't seem to even want to begin to go in. Bevel the outside starting edge? Bring the transaxle in next to the fire and the bushing into the freezer?

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:00 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I got a new bushing for the starter, but it's visibly larger, and measures a full half a mm larger than the old one and doesn't seem to even want to begin to go in. Bevel the outside starting edge? Bring the transaxle in next to the fire and the bushing into the freezer?
neal
Don't use it. Do not force stuff. You have learned that lesson. If new parts don't fit, guess why?
If manual says tap in new bushing and it needs a sledge, forget it. Try the new bushing on the starter shaft. Is it slightly wiggly loose? Is it smooth slide no loose? Is it clicka slippa fall off?
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm

New bushing slides onto the shaft of the starter just dandy. Snug. Snugger than the old one. Haven't applied any brute force, indeed, sometimes the lessons stick.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:47 pm

ruckman101 wrote:New bushing slides onto the shaft of the starter just dandy. Snug. Snugger than the old one. Haven't applied any brute force, indeed, sometimes the lessons stick.

neal
There is no way for us mere mortals to wallow out the hole in the bell housing with any hope of keeping the starter shaft accurately piloted. You have the old bushing there. It tapped out nicely?
P.S. your answer was the perfectly wrong answer for what I was going to suggest. I suggest that you find another bushing, bring your differently sized samples. You know that there is no wear ever to be had on the outside of your old bushing, unless it were to seize to the starter shaft. It is the correct size for match-ups. Where did this new bushing come from?
Colin