awesome, thanks!
1974 transporter panel

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Differential Side Seals

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:03 pm

asiab3 wrote:
chachi wrote:so you're using 189c in this, no? Weddle lists that and a plain 189, the difference being the height, of course. if you could have your choice...?
That looks to be correct. I tried to install the 189c (17mm, THICK) on my '69 and they were a chore. A friend and I put the 189 (10mm, regular) seals on his '68 and they went in much easier. Both kept the output shafts dry.

Robbie
Chloe's sand rail seals never leaked in the 40,000 miles or so since the procedure. My rebuilt Rancho transaxle seals started drooling within a couple of thousand miles. Oy.

BobD is perfectly fine at 110,000 miles with 38 year-old factory seals, and this baby, Naranja, at 46,000 miles is likewise perfectly dry with 39 year-old seals.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,334 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . .196,812 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 72,350 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Mon May 01, 2017 5:24 pm

My plastic lockplates are brittle and pieces are starting to break off. The seal doesn't seem to be leaking though. What will eventually happen when the plastic lockplates totally disintegrate? My bus came from Yuma, AZ and most of the plastic on it is crumbly from the desert heat.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 pm

My best guess is: nothing will happen. But there's always the option to replace before failure:
https://weddleindustries.com/products/n ... -vw-type-2

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

I got a couple from Bughaus.com but forgot to get the flange sealing caps so ordered those tonight so hopefully will have them for this weekend.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm

OK, I got the sealing caps for the flanges and replaced the plastic lockplates. Mine had thin washers under the circlips that held the flanges. Colin's trick of prying off the flanges with two screwdrivers using the lockplate screws as fulcrums worked great. They wouldn't budge if you pried one side at a time but if you pried both sides at once they came right off. When putting the circlips back on the ends seated right in but I had to tap lightly around the circumference with a screwdriver to get the rest of them to seat in properly. My seals weren't leaking so I didn't go any deeper than replacing the lockplates. There wasn't much left of the old ones.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm
OK, I got the sealing caps for the flanges and replaced the plastic lockplates. Mine had thin washers under the circlips that held the flanges. Colin's trick of prying off the flanges with two screwdrivers using the lockplate screws as fulcrums worked great. They wouldn't budge if you pried one side at a time but if you pried both sides at once they came right off. When putting the circlips back on the ends seated right in but I had to tap lightly around the circumference with a screwdriver to get the rest of them to seat in properly. My seals weren't leaking so I didn't go any deeper than replacing the lockplates. There wasn't much left of the old ones.
You gotta stop driving past all that ozone out there in the pastoral splendor.
"What ozone?" you ask.
I have no idea, because I have never seen brittle plastic up at the transaxle side covers.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,334 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . .196,812 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 72,350 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Sun May 14, 2017 11:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 6:55 pm

You gotta stop driving past all that ozone out there in the pastoral splendor.
"What ozone?" you ask.
I have no idea, because I have never seen brittle plastic up at the transaxle side covers.
Colin
The brittle plastic is a result of it's previous life in Yuma, AZ. :angryfire: All of it's plastic is brittle. I've been gradually replacing all of it.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Return to “Transaxle/CV/RWBearings”