Which loc tite to use

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Which loc tite to use

Post by jackstar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 am

Do I need to loctite my cylinder studs and if so, which to use. Also, my oil galley plugs. Same question. Just got my cases back and am starting to put it back together. Thanks.

Jack

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Which loc tite to use

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 am

Locktite 565 on the oil galley plugs and the through bolts with the big meat washers. It is sort of like a liquid teflon.

On the galley plugs (mine are steel), you want to make sure that there are no metal shavings in there after you have tapped them and done the trial fit. 1/3 of the way in, then out. Then 2/3 of the way in, then out. Then all of the way in, then out. Gum Out and compressed air until you are positive it is clean.

Then put a little locketite 565 on there and do the 1/3, 2/3 and then finally drive them home. They end of getting torqued down pretty good (I want to say about 40-45 foot pounds or so), so they won't come out and will not leak when you are finished.
79 VW Bus

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks Randy. I assume I can use the same on the cylinder studs as well correct?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Actually Jake has a pretty good price on the various sealants you will need all in one package.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/stor ... 354&page=1
79 VW Bus