return spring - 1974 bus w/ stock Solexes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

return spring - 1974 bus w/ stock Solexes

Post by whc03grady » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Here's one I didn't even know I was missing, the long return spring running from the linkage to the rear of the engine compartment. Busted Bus says, and I quote, "...we have no part # and/or bin box for that part. We have boxes o' springs and I'm sure the part is in there but I've no idea of the length of it. It's just not a part that we ever deal with. Sorry!"
...which I took to be an honest if not somewhat strange answer; what's the point in a vendor hoarding parts they don't have any intention of trying to sell?
Does anyone have an idea how long this spring is so I can try to get one at the hardware store? Or, barring that, so I can tell Busted Bus "It's x inches long. Can I buy one now?"
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: return spring - 1974 bus w/ stock Solexes

Post by whc03grady » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Given the near-complete indifference--tempered only by mild hostility--I've gotten from three wreckers now as pertains this part (the subtext is, "why the Hell do you want that?"), I have to ask: do I really need the return spring? It seems to me that yes, I really do, but I get the feeling it's like I'm asking for a working smog pump.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 am

Since the carbs already have throttle return springs built in, my guess is that you do not, however the spring must certainly serve a purpose. That purpose is probably to function as a back-up/redundant system in the event that a carb spring fails causing the engine to race out of control.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:26 am

My thought was that it evens out/reduces the load on those springs but your thinking makes sense too. But the important thing is, you're right: Volkswagen, being a manufacturer of artifacts is governed by Lamarckian evolution and doesn't do things without a reason (or at least not without a perceived reason).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:42 am

whc03grady wrote:My thought was that it evens out/reduces the load on those springs but your thinking makes sense too. But the important thing is, you're right: Volkswagen, being a manufacturer of artifacts is governed by Lamarckian evolution and doesn't do things without a reason (or at least not without a perceived reason).
You need the spring to keep the accelerator pedal/cable/actuator all in a semi-taut state. This spring does not help the throttle return springs do their job in any way. You can get a decent long spring at a hardware store. The less tension, the less wear.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
whc03grady wrote:My thought was that it evens out/reduces the load on those springs but your thinking makes sense too. But the important thing is, you're right: Volkswagen, being a manufacturer of artifacts is governed by Lamarckian evolution and doesn't do things without a reason (or at least not without a perceived reason).
You need the spring to keep the accelerator pedal/cable/actuator all in a semi-taut state. This spring does not help the throttle return springs do their job in any way. You can get a decent long spring at a hardware store. The less tension, the less wear.
Colin
I agree. You can find a suitable substitute at the hardware store. Put two springs together if necessary to get the right length or tension. It is better for the spring to be a little weak than too strong, since you will feel the resistance of the spring at the accelerator pedal which may get a little tiring on a long drive (unless you have some fancy cruise control attached to your engine!).

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Everything at the hardware store looked too stout for my liking. I have one coming from a salvage yard.
Cruise "control": pfffffft. :)