Warped and shrunken valve cover gasket

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Warped and shrunken valve cover gasket

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Went to replace the drivers side valve cover gasket today as it's been leaking, and was surprised to see how the gasket had deformed. If you try yo bend it back the other sides just move. I wasn't going to reuse it anyway but it was an interesting way to fail....

Maybe it just got extremely hot, as it's RIGHT next to the CAT o this CA model.

Less than a year old
1979 California Transporter

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Warped and shrunken valve cover gasket

Post by hambone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Yeah it happens. Some times they sit for a long time before getting used.
I recommend gluing down the gasket to the cover with Permatex in a tube, made for gasket sealing. That way they stay in place at least.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 pm

I did use permatex on them but apparently not as much as I should have

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 am

I use high quality cork gaskets as other ones will do that over time even if glued. The engine will suck the gaskets in too so always glue em and check your crankcase venting setup.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:10 am

Bleyseng wrote:I use high quality cork gaskets as other ones will do that over time even if glued. The engine will suck the gaskets in too so always glue em and check your crankcase venting setup.

I agree, the rubber gaskets "suck" big time. :bounce:
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 am

Might wanna check your breather system is in place. High rpm will suck em in.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:11 am

airkooledchris wrote:I did use permatex on them but apparently not as much as I should have
Permatex what? No RTV or the Ghosts of Volkswagens Past shall swarm upon thee like Edgar Allen Poe bats.
Hylomar, 3M weather stripping, I use that weird Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac, Permatex Aviation, are all suitable.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:I did use permatex on them but apparently not as much as I should have
Permatex what? No RTV or the Ghosts of Volkswagens Past shall swarm upon thee like Edgar Allen Poe bats.
Hylomar, 3M weather stripping, I use that weird Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac, Permatex Aviation, are all suitable.
Colin

I was wrong. I used 'Universal Blue Hylomar Gasket and Jointing compound'

this was a regular cork gasket, not rubber.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:35 pm

well, it kept on a leaking and then started leaking even more. I pulled the new one and it was a little 'off' in one corner, so I flipped it and popped it back into place and it leaked even worse.

I have spare valve covers and one had a gasket already Hylomar'd in place so I stuck that one on and it finally dried up. in that spot.

I think my oil cooler is leaking juuuuust a little. It's definitely over there somewhere. I pulled the oil pressure sender and reinstalled it nice and snug, but I still get a little drip down off the bottom of the oil filter. I don't like any oil leaks, but I can deal with 2-3 drops after I shut it off a lot more than a small puddle which is what I was getting.

ill change the oil and filter this weekend just to be sure it's not the oil filter itself, and to clean up the area a bit more. For now I got my GumOut spray and went to town on the area so I can get a better picture the next inspection.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 am

airkooledchris wrote:well, it kept on a leaking and then started leaking even more. I pulled the new one and it was a little 'off' in one corner, so I flipped it and popped it back into place and it leaked even worse.

I have spare valve covers and one had a gasket already Hylomar'd in place so I stuck that one on and it finally dried up. in that spot.

I think my oil cooler is leaking juuuuust a little. It's definitely over there somewhere. I pulled the oil pressure sender and reinstalled it nice and snug, but I still get a little drip down off the bottom of the oil filter. I don't like any oil leaks, but I can deal with 2-3 drops after I shut it off a lot more than a small puddle which is what I was getting.

ill change the oil and filter this weekend just to be sure it's not the oil filter itself, and to clean up the area a bit more. For now I got my GumOut spray and went to town on the area so I can get a better picture the next inspection.
The BobD has a pesky little leak in that area that is not the sender/pressure relief screw/oil cooler seals/fan hub seal/ nor is it the crankcase nuts in the vicinity. I think it is the oil filter mounting gasket.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles