71 Type 3 f.i. loping

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: 71 Type 3 f.i. loping

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:42 pm

ok, what do the spark plugs look like? Lean burn -lots of whiteish or what? or could be a grounding issues so the injectors stop firing so clean ALL the grounds for the FI and the tranny strap.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 am

whc03grady wrote:The MPS and ECU are both Es. In any case, they'd been a perfectly competent team for thousands of miles when this issue suddenly arose. I will look at the brain for a screw, but I don't remember seeing one last time I looked at it.

I should say that it doesn't feel like missing to me. What it feels like, exactly, is running out of gas. But the car doesn't die, it just dies off (and comes back), if you catch my meaning. The spark plugs have all been replaced.
Yes, we are on the same page here. A bad spark would cause a "miss" and you have a "lope" under load. I recommend that you leave sane parameters and do some vigorous screwing around.

After reading Jim's reply, is the fuel filter a known fresh/clean? Did we screw around with the return/supply/damper hoses? It is a mess up there on a nice stock Squareback, I can't remember yours.

Your fuel pressure regulator is adjustable. For FUN, mark initial position! back the center bolt out one full turn! drive it! Better or worse?? If better leave it! If worse, go the other way now two full turns in! Better or worse?? Let us know. Don't be afraid!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 am

All good points, gents; thanks for applying your noggins to this.
Bleyseng: The plugs are fresh NGKs that I put in when I started to deal with this problem. The old plugs were dark and dry.

ACR/CK: The fuel filter was replaced when I put in the rebuilt pump a few thousand miles back. I didn't clean the sock coming out of the tank. When I was spending all that time up there I put the damper back in (PO had installed a(nother) fuel filter in its place), mounted the pump where it's supposed to go (instead of being freaking bungee-corded to the front beam; PO again), and replaced all the hose up there.

I'll take a look at things at the forward of the car, and partake in some vigorous screwing around, once it stops snowing here (two fresh inches this morning and it's still falling).
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com