1971 Squareback, strange (or not) starting issue

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

1971 Squareback, strange (or not) starting issue

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:10 pm

So it's very cold here and the car turned over slowly, but wouldn't start. I didn't think much of it, given the temperature. But I did notice a little lurch at the first crank. I thought, "hmm", and pressed in the clutch on the next try. And it starts. But as I let off on the clutch, it moves the car forward a little and stalls it out again. Yes, the gearshift lever is in neutral (septuple-checked).
Que paso?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Clutch must somehow be dragging. Maybe temp related?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Was the emergency brake on? Brake shoes rusted to drums?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:40 pm

How cold? Very low teens and lower it could be just the drag of cold oil in the tranny. Really. Remember the input shaft spins even in neutral. How hard does it try to move? Does it just kinda wanna move? Or does it really have a mission and it's gonna move, damn it. The drag of the cold gear oil can and does make for hard starting. Even cold motor oil can make for hard starting. It'll crank over slowly, battery isn't efficient, cold gear oil, even cold intake air, FI needs about 10 volts to work. All this working against the infernal combustion magic needed to obtain mobility
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Strange (or not) starting issue

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:49 pm

whc03grady wrote:So it's very cold here
Read your owner's manual. When temperatures drop below -13*f you can put automatic transmission oil in your manual transaxle. Definitely get some 70-80 gear oil if you are running 85-90 or 85-140 currently. This is true for both your Squareback and your bus since we don't know which one you are talking about here since you refuse to follow the Technical Forum PROTOCOL . . .
Crablin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Strange (or not) starting issue

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
whc03grady wrote:So it's very cold here
Read your owner's manual. When temperatures drop below -13*f you can put automatic transmission oil in your manual transaxle. Definitely get some 70-80 gear oil if you are running 85-90 or 85-140 currently. This is true for both your Squareback and your bus since we don't know which one you are talking about here since you refuse to follow the Technical Forum PROTOCOL . . .
Crablin
It is/was the Squareback. I didn't follow the protocol because I, uh, figured the question had universal interest. (Yeah. That sounds right.)

So I let it warm up a little with the pedal in and it got to the point where I could let it out and it didn't move or stall. When it did move, vdubyah73, it tried to move, like get on down the road. In neutral! That's some seriously thick oil, but that had to've been what it was.

Temps were in the -teens, -20s F. Care to come help me change that transaxle grease, Colin? :wink:
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com